Mourning

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Mourning

Post by the edge of the world » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:59 am

I was wondering if anyone has tips on mourning. I don't have much practice, but I feel like I need to do something in honor of this person.

So far I lit some candles... that seemed to help.

Ideas?

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:58 pm

This an idea I got from the C who I saw after my sister died. she suggested having a short time (half an hour, an hour something like that) each day that's set aside for the person and your memories of them, and use this to do something creative, make something, write something or whatever in their memory.
http://www.crusebereavementcare.org.uk/ might have some ideas as well?...I haven't read much of it so I don't know how helpful it is but there might be something there
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by the edge of the world » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 pm

Thanks, 5th section.

I'm going to add things here that I find helpful, too, in case anyone else wants them....

Light a Candle: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?l=eng

Below from http://www.support4change.com/stages/tr ... grief.html
SUGGESTED CREATIVE WAYS OF EXPRESSING GRIEF

There are no limits to the imagination in finding creative ways or endeavors for expressing grief. Creativity can be expressed by using a variety of media e.g. molding clay, photography, fabric, collage. Several methods of expressing grief have already been mentioned-song, writing, poetry, statues, ceremonies, memorials, and advocacy. The following list is a sampling of suggestions for unique ways of expressing grief.

Writing

-Write in a journal or diary

-Write a letter to the lost loved one

-Write the lost loved one's story

-Write a poem

-Write lyrics or music

-Write a memorial for the local paper

Drawing

-Painting

-Cartooning

-Sketching

-Doodling

Performance Art

-Write a play or an improvisational acting piece

-Choreograph a dance

-Film a video or a movie

-Tape recollections of favorite stories, old memories, or a conversation one might have with the lost loved one

-Compose music to sing or play

-Play an instrument-alone, with others

Creating Larger Projects

-Create a collage or decoupage to expresses grief using newspapers, magazine, painting, markers, photography, painting etc.

-Take photographs to illustrate grief, or encourage hope

-Make an album, a book of the lost loved one's life - using photographs, recording family memories, photos, schoolwork, drawings, letters, mementos and favorite sayings.

-Collect mementos, photos, drawings, letters and other memorabilia and to display in a wall cabinet or glass-topped coffee table

-Paint emotions on paper- with whatever paints or colors and whatever technique feels right.

-Create a Memorial e.g. AIDS Quilt, Mural, Sculpture

-Mold or construct masks with different media to illustrate grief

-Express emotions using molding clay or in sculpting

-Sew a memory quilt or make a teddy bear using clothes from the one lost

-Build an Ofrenda or Altar

-Decorate a Memory Box and fill it with mementos that remind you of the lost loved one

-Sew, knit, crochet, quilt, embroider a quilt, wall-hanging, or teddy bear.

-Build a memorial bench

-Make special anniversary cards, candles, bookmarks, picture frames to remember the lost loved one

Grief can be expressed in many different and healing ways. Finding a voice for the deep emotions through art can aid in the healing process. Let your imagination loose. Be creative in finding unique ways of remembering the one lost, sharing treasured memories, expressing your heart and healing the grief.