Trouble shooting and emotions

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Orelanna

Trouble shooting and emotions

Post by Orelanna » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:50 pm

I know that I cannot trust and act on all my feelings, because quite often they are extreme and heightened versions of what they should be. I have trouble processing and gaging them. So mostly I ignore them completely, until they build up so much SI is the only vent.
And at the moment I feel the start of that process kicking into action.
How do I set out deciphering what feeling is valid, and what is just self-serving and destructive?
In reality I should be a little irked with my boyfriend. But that is starting to escalate into ridiculous suspicions and insecurities. I KNOW he is a good person and good for me, but I am trying to feel that too.
I am alot more used to feeling negative things on a huge scale, rather than slightly annoyed but no big deal, kind of thing.
I now hate that phrase 'go with your feelings', I can't, I know they need tweeking. So what do I go with if not my feelings? My intellect is naturally cynical, so can't follow that either. Nor can I just go on what other people say. Bugger.
Frustrated. :x
Any thoughts much appreciated

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:46 pm

I think this is something that comes with time and self -reflection.

A lot of us will have trouble with trying to distinguish between feelings we should act on, and feelings that are our illnesses.

I think, this is where therapy comes in. But, barring that, just keep thinking about everything from an objective point of view - ie, if it was happening to your friend - what do you think an appropriate reaction would be? And what advice would you give her?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Orelanna

Post by Orelanna » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Objective, I know.
I have opted for the early night, dvd and hot milk option, in the hope that tomorrow what feels like an impossible puzzle now will look a bit more obvious. If I keep thinking I know I will just spiral.
It is so exhausting and so wasteful of time and energy, that is what frustrates me most. My brain should have better things to do than this :(
Thanks for the reply :)