Cutting and Childhood disipline

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Where u spanked as a child and also SI?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 48

rinski01
one of us
one of us

Cutting and Childhood disipline

Post by rinski01 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:40 am

I think I figured out another important reason I cut myself. To punish myself for what I do wrong. It stems from parenting that is for punishing and not just teaching. Spanking in particular I feel influenced this. When u do something wrong you get hurt. Then as u become an adult you sometimes tell yourself Idiot, that was stupid, or when u get mad physically demonstrate anger because when mom and dad were angry with you you got spanked. You seek to repeat this pattern to make your guilt better. I feel religion also combined with spanking can lead people to feel negative about themselves when they mess up instead of focusing on positively doing something about what they didn't do quite right. It direct kids to focus on feeling shame, bad about themselves instead of feeling like they could improve and how can they get there.

breathing
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by breathing » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:37 pm

When I was younger, I was spanked often. I used to want to kill my mother. I used to wake up and imagine killing her. And I wanted those things to happen, but I didn't want to envision them every living moment.

(OCD - Injury-type, but I didn't know that then.)

I was so scared that I was going to hurt her one day that I just started hurting myself to release the tension. I've been cutting for almost four years.

Spanking kids releases the parent's anger, and the child is left to feel ashamed, while the child's anger is slowly bottled up. You just never know how it's going to be released.

-jennifer

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:44 am

I vote "other" :)

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 pm

I voted yes, because I was occassionally spanked and because I SI.

But please don't use my experience to support this theory, as it really doesn't fit...I was never spanked in anger. I always got the "long talk" before and the spanking, making sure I understood what I had done wrong and how to not do it again, and getting the "hug and cry" session afterwards which included lots of reassurance that I was accepted even with my bad behaviors.
While I can understand that others have had very different experiences, I strongly disagree with some of the statements here if someone is trying to apply them to me...they just don't fit my experience and don't fairly characterize the discipline I recieved as a child. So...yes to both questions, but no to the proposed link between them.

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:08 pm

I don't think I was hit much. But I do remember taking a few hit's from my mum. I'm not sure if it's related though.

Neviah
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Neviah » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 pm

i got the odd smack on the bum as a child but i dont think there's a link with me.

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:26 pm

I was spanked but I definately deserved it then. I was a little snit :P

I know that might is not related
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:20 pm

I remember being threatened with it a lot but I don't remember it actually happening. Can't have made much of an impression. I very much doubt if it's contributed to my SI.
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

Rakshasa
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

SI and spanking

Post by Rakshasa » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:54 pm

Yes, I do self-injure and I was spanked/struck occassionally as a child, but I don't see the two as correlated for me. In my case, being in a family environment that was emotionally unsafe and invalidating was a bigger factor. Still, that's just me -- we're all different and we all have unique factors playing into our SI.

poisontongue
creating your space
creating your space

Post by poisontongue » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:12 am

I was spanked as a child, albeit super rarely, so the two don't share a connection with me either. I can see where you're coming from though, my mom didn't get angry at me often because I was the the good one, and discipline slacked. If they had repeatedly done it out of their own anger without any reason, just repeated guilt...

It was more the environment in which I was raised that has led me to SI.

Silver_Kitsune
settling in
settling in

Post by Silver_Kitsune » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:28 am

Growing up, my parents were pretty much emotionally distant, and never really cared about how I felt. If I did something wrong, I'd get hit. If I did it again, I'd get hit by a belt. Sometimes when I feel I've done something bad or something that my parents would punish me for, I SI and punish myself so they don't have to.

I think it was the environment that I was raised in that contributed the most to my SI behavior. I've lived with my mother for almost 10 years now, and she still doesn't care about how I feel. It doesn't bother me anymore because I hate her anyway.

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 am

I voted 'yes', but I do not feel spanking and SIing is connected in my case.

divine
settling in
settling in

Post by divine » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:41 am

I voted no. While I can see that there can be connection in some cases, I was never spanked. I think, maybe once. That's like, it. And I laughed. Because it didn't hurt. So, I don't see a connection.

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am

In my opinion I feel the answer is no, I wasn't spanked as a child, more just yelled at I guess, but that did the trick, however in my own case I don't feel that helped contribute to me SI-ing
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)