si *doesn't* help when....

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

si *doesn't* help when....

Post by treasure » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:06 am

for me, si is often to fix my emotions about a problem, but the issue itself isn't changed. if you want to si and can see that the issue behind it is possible to deal with, then you don't 'have' to si.

what problems have come up for you that you knew si wouldn't help and how did you try to fix the problem?

si doesn't help when i'm feeling lousy about avoiding housework. i can break it up into manageable tasks and reward myself for doing it. my anxiety and self-hate gets worse if i keep avoiding it, but doing one tiny part (like putting away some recycling) can stop my feelings spiralling without using si.
treasure
virtual hugs welcome.
shiny place or old place

Cellardoor
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Cellardoor » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:17 pm

:) hey treasure.

si doesnt work for me when....

:o

hang on.
i cant think of anything.
ill come back later and be positive.
:roll:

I built my house,
Where the ocean meets the land,
It's time to live again,
And pull my dreams out of the sand.

(take the pieces and build them skywards)
(expressions)

FOUR YEARS HAPPY AND FREE!

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:53 pm

It doesn't work for me when the problem is incessant.
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!

Rakshasa
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

SI

Post by Rakshasa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:42 am

It depends on how you define "work for me". For me, SI is a short-term fix, a way of venting the rage and despair that wells up inside when nothing else will dispell them. It is NOT a long-term solution to all the issues at the root of the rage and despair. Ultimately, the issues will still remain until they can be healed.

The problem is, healing takes a long time. I know that SI will not help me heal in the long-term . . . but I struggle with overwhelming feelings, and sometimes the only thing that tames them is SI. I do know that talking about the issues, being with caring people, and staying in healthy environments WILL help me heal in the long-term, and hopefully the day will come when I won't need the SI anymore.

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:18 am

SI doesn't work for me at all anymore. When I am having the urge to cut because of school work, I can find one small task that I can do, and work on that instead.

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:22 pm

ahhhhhhhhhh, me too balletomane!

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 am

SI doesn't work with me when it came to friends, I thought I could SI and manage to be positive around my friends, but instead I am just paranoid, and it doesn't work anymore.

That is my reason on trying to stop.
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)