Im afraid of happiness

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

vampirelover
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Im afraid of happiness

Post by vampirelover » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:07 pm

I know this probably seems really wierd, but part of me doesnt want to get councilling or go on anti - deppressons as im scared of feeling happy. Dont get me wrong i want to be happy more than anything. But Im terrifed of feeling empty with out deppression as i feel like its always been part of me and i dont know who else I am apart from the deppressed girl. So i guess im saying im scared of being different but i wanna be happy. Can anyone understand this ? or have any advice.
longest with no slips - 2 years , 6 months
time since last slip : 2 days

Underoath
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Underoath » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 pm

I don't have any advice seeing as I'm more or less in the same place You are, but I just thought I'd tell You that someone is reading, and does understand.
"my legs are dangling off the edge" - Hollywood undead

--------------------------------------------------------
You walk around screaming "screw the world" cause that's easier then actually feeling anything. - Carmen

*Pm's welcome*

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:50 am

It is totally natural to feel comfortable being depressed,
Nirvana wrote:I miss the comfort in being sad
especially if you have been so for a long time and you feel like it is all that makes up your identity and personality.

You need to understand that that kind of thinking is part of the illness itself, and that once you start to break out of it it gets easier to see that your full potential and life isn't being fulfilled whilst you are depressed.

AD's aren't magically going to make you feel better, but they might make you see that happiness is worth it and you might want to work towards it. If anything they'll help relieve the physical symptoms of depression (tiredness, sleep disturbance, physical pain, etc)

Give it a go :redstar:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

purdyflower
settling in
settling in

Post by purdyflower » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:26 am

I'm going through the exact same thing. I am in therapy and on anti depressents, but it's like I almost don't want to try that hard to get better, because I don't know how else to be other that depressed and I don't like change. I know exactly the fear of being empty if your not depressed. It's like, if I'm not sad and thinking negative things, what else is there to think about? I've been this way so long I don't know anything else. It's very weird and confusing. I just want you to know you are definately not alone!

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:37 pm

I know exactly what you mean because I was like that for a longggggg time. But these last couple of months I haven't been feeling too bad. I was happy for a bit and I can say it is a lot better. I think when you are depressed for a long time you just get used to it, but when you do experience happiness you kind of realise what you have been missing out on. And I know it might not feel that way right now, believe me, I am still stuck in the middle, but please, all of you just try. Woah, that last sentence made me sound like I am sounding like I am some recovered preacher. Sorry.

Cellardoor
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Cellardoor » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:41 pm

i was so scared of getting better.
but in the end it was scarier being so sad.

x

I built my house,
Where the ocean meets the land,
It's time to live again,
And pull my dreams out of the sand.

(take the pieces and build them skywards)
(expressions)

FOUR YEARS HAPPY AND FREE!

sweetelisum
building community
building community

Post by sweetelisum » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:22 pm

I'm used to being depressed. The only reason i fear happiness is b/c it feels so good and i worry that the next time i fall into one of my sad spells, it will feel worse than even b/c i'll actually remember what joy felt like. :tongue:
"Hinged to forgetfulness
like a door,
she slowly closed out of
sight,
and she was the woman I loved,
but too many times she slept like
a mechanical deer in my caresses,
and I ached in the metal silence
of her dreams."
-Richard Brautigan

Silentdancer
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Silentdancer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 pm

For me, like others have said, I am familiar with sadness and depression. it is the way I have lived over half my life and it is what I feel and believe I deserve. When I have glimpses of happiness I tend to squash them before something has the opportunity to come along and ruin it for me. The truth of the matter is (as I am starting to learn and believe) is that we all deserve to feel happy. Nobody is happy all the time, but that is okay too. Enjoy the happy moments and remember what they feel like. Eventually, they will help to give the strength you need to wade through the shitty times and will happen more frequently.

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:36 pm

*understands*
:lblstar:
/May

:lblstar: Never underestimate the power of silence... :lblstar:
:lblstar: micro-chipped mental cyber twins taking over NewZealand... :lblstar:
:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

thewaves
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by thewaves » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:07 am

Me too, I'm realizing.
"I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest film. No lies whatsoever. I thought I had something so simple to say. Something useful to everybody. A film that could help bury forever all those dead things we carry within ourselves. Instead, I'm the one without the courage to bury anything at all. When did I go wrong? I really have nothing to say, but I want to say it all the same." -Federico Fellini's 8 1/2

...beneath the waves...

twinkletears
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by twinkletears » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:00 pm

i understand you and i wonder if i will ever be happy again,i forgotten what it feels like, but i would think it iowuld be alot better than depression

amyfairy
postinating the countryside
postinating the countryside

Post by amyfairy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 pm

i felt *exactly* the same way.
i had comfort in feeling the same way i always did. it was almost like a second skin and it was all i knew for those years.
if things changed around me and within me, i thought (and feared) i'd lose my identify, i'd lose 'me'.
but you're not the depression. depression consists of many different feelings, but you are so much more than that. you are more then these feelings.

trust me, it's worth it.
i don't miss depression at all. i love being happy.

give it ago or you'll never realise how it could be.

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:24 am

I understand where you are coming from, but I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice on this. Are hugz ok? If so then I'm free to give you some :)
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)