how do you do it? cope.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

how do you do it? cope.

Post by 2crazy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:12 pm

this is my first time on bus. ive been cutting for three years now and am 47 years old. i cut on a daily basis for a long time, so now its been 2 weeks. instead of cutting ive been running 4 miles a day. but i find my head thinking about cutting; seeing it, feeling it, and waiting for the calm to wash over me. how do i get my head to stop going where i should be?

falling...
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by falling... » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:49 pm

welcome to BUS :moo: <-tradition

im sorry i have no answers... but congratulations for not cutting for two weeks thats really great. :star:
Last edited by falling... on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:50 pm

firstly, welcome to BUS. :moo: (traditional BUS cow, don't ask...)

so...how do you cope? well this is a good place to start as it contains practically every coping method ever thought of. have a look there and around the rest of BUS for a few ideas. Coping is a bit of trial and error - different things work for different people at different times, and the best way is to try a load of them and see what are the effective ones. It's a process that you get better at over time. have a look at the Before & After questions as well - it's a way of looking at the SI urges in more detail and working out exactly what makes you do it.
I hope you find BUS helpful & supportive.
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:46 am

5th Section said it all. Keep trying, find the coping mechanisms that work for *you*. Everyone is different.

I wanted to welcome you to the coping forum :moo:

And just mention that SI is a symptom of unhappiness, depression, anxiety, or other underlying issues. And, like a cough being a symptom of a cold.. if you treat the cold, the cough goes away a lot easier.

Have you peeked into the long day's arc forum yet?

:) El
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins