Moving On After Serious SI Episode

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

RIMH
one of us
one of us

Moving On After Serious SI Episode

Post by RIMH » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi Everyone...I am new to the board and looking for some help...On Tuesday I had a very serious traumatic event happen and the end results was major SI...I haven't spoken since Tuesday, when I do communicate (which is very little) I write what I need to say...Sleep at this point is nil...

I am currently in therapy with a new therapist and I haven't been with her long enough to build trust...She has been in touch with me by phone but I only listen, I won't speak...I don't know where to go from here...I try to speak when I am alone and my words are completely messed up...
That is the main reason why I won't talk to people...

I have a session this coming Monday and the anxiety of going is driving me crazy and its causing SI thoughts...I don't feel safe with anyone or anywhere...How do I get my speech back?....
RIMH

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:18 pm

as far as i know it is not uncommon for people who have survived traumatic events to lose the ability to speak / communicate..

you said that you can write your thoughts out...perhaps until your mind processes it and gives your speech back, could you write it out, or type it out using your computer and let that "speak" for you? [many computers will speak what you type, if you ask them]

welcome to bus :) have a welcome :moo:
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

one out of none
bus addict
bus addict

Post by one out of none » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi,
I had a similar experience, but it was just in the area of T sessions. I simply couldn't speak a word when I went in there. So my T made me keep a diary, and show it to her, and communication worked through pen and paper. It was a gradual thing, speaking a few words at a time, then gradually working up to bigger things. It doesn't even have to be so called important things, it can be just hello, or something.

Another idea that I thought was good, was writing down what you want to say, and attempting to read it out. Not even immediately, but whenever it feels right.

I understand what you mean though. It's like a block between the thought and the actual words. Practicing on your own helps, even if it feels a little bit wierd. Even trying to do the reading out what you wrote thing on your own, and going about it that way. I know you say it sounds messed up, but it gets better with time.

I hope this was sort of helpful,
Sorry things have been difficult, and of course, welcome to bus.
:star:

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:53 pm

I think the others have already covered everything.
They're wise :wink:

So, i'll just welcome you to bus ... :moo:

RIMH
one of us
one of us

Post by RIMH » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:32 am

Thanks...I will use both suggestions...
RIMH