Doing good but thinking about self harm

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

justcallmemillie
one of us
one of us

Doing good but thinking about self harm

Post by justcallmemillie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:16 pm

So i'm doing pretty well, but i'm thinking about cutting. I hate it and I know i don't need it anymore but when something little happens all i want to do is pull out my [tool]. I cut in the school bathroom with a [tool]. I felt awful doing it. but i felt like i had a good reason. I hate when i am talking to someone and they either turn away or start talking to someone else. I can't stand it.

I'm involved in a youth group and that has helped me so much. The leaders are fantastic but the people that go there are a different story. When we are at youth they talk to me and we get along, but as soon as we get to school they are rude, not only to me but other people. I understand that you can't always be the nicest person, but they take it way to far. I don't understand why they are like that. I am the same way at youth group as i am at school. No one understands what i feel and i don't think anyone really cares all that much (friend-wise).

I need advice about how to let what people say and how they act about me just roll off my back.

Thanks!
Millie
I can be stronger than my addiction.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Hey sweetie,

That's a hard one.

I think (especially with teenagers) people go through huge phases of insecurity. I'm sure you can relate to that yes? And when people are grouped together, whether it's by school, or friendship, or whatever, and there's a type of collective sense of that insecurity.. then things like cliques develop where people act in certain ways and behave in ways to keep themselves feeling accepted and "inside" the group.

I found that a lot through high school. It really upset me at times but it was a matter of look back at these people and seeing underneith their behaviour & looking at why they acted the way that they do.

How old are you hun? Things like cliques & social groups tend to mellow a bit when you get older. I found the first few years of high school really hard in that way, but towards the last few years I found myself a place with people I felt comfortable with.

It's also a matter of you being able to judge who's a good friend and who's not. If these people are nice to you in front of others, and horrible to you other times, then it might be worth finding some other friends. I'm not saying you should quit your group if it's helped you.. but it's important to keep things in perspective. You should'nt have to put up with being abused like that.

:star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins