Back-to-School Support

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Back-to-School Support

Post by half/hearted » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:47 am

Over the last few weeks I've been hearing a lot of people (myself included!) talking about their struggles going back to school. While this may sound a little off topic, there are definitely some unique challenges faced by people who struggle with SI, ED, etc., and I thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about that.

My hope is simply to offer an open forum for sharing struggles, triumphs, coping ideas, and anything else on the subject of dealing with the transition back to school. Whether we are in grade school or grad school, I think we all face similar challenges, and I hope that we can help each other here.

If I'm duplicating an already-existing topic, please let me know. :)

O Honored Admins--I discussed this topic with some other users at my place, and we all pretty much agreed that it should go in coping, but if it needs moving, that's fine. Also, I wasn't sure whether it required an OT mark--what do you think?
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

Oceanic
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Oceanic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:44 am

Great idea. I'm headed off to grad school next week, and i'll look forward to keeping an eye on this therad.

Good for you, Jae, for taking the initiative. :)

sarah
Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent.-HP Lovecraft
still waters run deep

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:31 am

sar - congrats on going to grad school! That's awesome! :D If I may ask, where are you attending?

Oceanic
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Oceanic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:47 am

sure - i'll be at columbia, in nyc.
Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent.-HP Lovecraft
still waters run deep

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:11 am

thanks for making a thread about school-- mine starts tomorrow

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:18 am

flipflopfetish - congratulations, and good luck! :D I hope everything goes smoothly.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:54 pm

this is sooo not ot :)

it's a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeat thread. excellent idea.

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:06 pm

I was wonderinng when this thread was going to pop up :)

I hope you don't mind if I'm the first to vent?

So I'm starting back at school next wednesday and I'm dreading it. I'll be going into year 11 (which is the last compulsory year) which means coursework and exams. I'm already struggling to keep up with coursework and that. Mainly because I just have no motivation what so ever to do it, and I just feel like I can't. Plus I really hate one of my classes. I literally have like one person in that class that actually talks to me. And there is quite a few people that I could literally kill. (I wish I could anyway). It's not even like I can just ignore everyone and do my own thing because it's P.E, so you kinda have to work with people. I just don't know if I'm mentally strong enough to cope with this year.

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:12 am

I wanna vent now, as my first day of school is officially over. At least I don't have an essay due tomorrow like some people. My school is so 'academically rigorous'. It's fucking insane. And it's so stressful being forced to interact with people. My classes are horrible. In 3/4 of them, there is NO ONE I like. At all. Which is kind of surprising because I get along with most people. I guess it's just certain combinations of people I don't like. And in one class I have two people who are my friends but hate each other, and this one girl who is friends with one of them but whom I HATE. And they're all really rich and have designer jeans and can afford to buy all the textbooks which I really cannot, and they all want to be cool so they take drugs/drink and then brag about it, which is just weird. And even though I tell myself that the majority of people are not like this it's hard because I want to be accepted and shit but I really don't want to end up like that.

Whingey whinge whinge. I'm shallow :-?

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:39 pm

Great idea for a thread, ta for starting it

I can't cope with school, only been back for a week..and already thinking of excuses to not be there

DarkMatter
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by DarkMatter » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:57 pm

Is it all right if i talk about school even if mine hasn't started yet?

I'm going into 10th grade and school starts on Tuesday. And i swear to god, the people at school are complete morons...they don't understand anything and everyone is in cliques. I've never fit into any certain category, and so feel left out. A lot of things have come up over the summer, and i've been losing focus (i think the more technical term is dissociation) a lot. It happens even more at school. I just don't know how i can cope with so many other people around me, with no place to hide, and no time to myself. If f*ing idiots could only be a bit more accepting. :x

Sorry for venting, i should not be so accusing

DarkMatter
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by DarkMatter » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:57 pm

This is a really great thread!!!

Is it all right if i talk about school even if mine hasn't started yet?

I'm going into 10th grade and school starts on Tuesday. And i swear to god, the people at school are complete morons...they don't understand anything and everyone is in cliques. I've never fit into any certain category, and so feel left out. A lot of things have come up over the summer, and i've been losing focus (i think the more technical term is dissociation) a lot. It happens even more at school. I just don't know how i can cope with so many other people around me, with no place to hide, and no time to myself. If f*ing idiots could only be a bit more accepting. :x

Sorry for venting, i should not be so accusing

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:05 pm

It's weird how everyone is talking about the same kinda thing huh?

DarkMatter - No, I feel the same way.

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:37 am

Thank you very much, Siyren, that means a lot :)

DarkMatter: I feel much the same way. School is crap. And venting is the point of the thread so feel free, which is still a really rad idea for a thread jae!

Scatterbrain
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Scatterbrain » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:23 am

cool thread!

I'm actually excited about school because it means that I wont have to spend as much time at home... I'm also uber stoked for my AP Psychology class! I cant wait! I'm sure I will be back here once school starts and I will be uber stressed about because 4 of my 6 classes are AP... Calculus is the scariest one...

~Megan
"The impossible just takes a little longer."
- HCJ (1/9/25- 2/26/08 )

"That there, that's not me/I go where I please/I walk through walls/I float down the Liffey
I'm not here/This isn't happening"
- "How to Disappear Completely" Radiohead

Place: Want to live and breathe/I want to be part of the human race
PBH: Back to the basics

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Does anyone else struggle with like, doing homework and stuff? Because the other day I was trying to do my art homework (something which I used to enjoy, not the homework but art) and I literally did like a minutes worth of work. I just couldn't do it. Not because it was tough, I just couldn't. It probably sounds strange if you haven't experienced it I know.

Scatterbrain
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Scatterbrain » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:48 pm

I totally understand! I'm trying to read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. The books itself isnt really that hard to read as long as you read carefully, but I cant seem to get through it... School starts on Wednesday and I still have 150 pages left... It sucks.

~Megan
"The impossible just takes a little longer."
- HCJ (1/9/25- 2/26/08 )

"That there, that's not me/I go where I please/I walk through walls/I float down the Liffey
I'm not here/This isn't happening"
- "How to Disappear Completely" Radiohead

Place: Want to live and breathe/I want to be part of the human race
PBH: Back to the basics

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:09 pm

MusicalMorphine wrote:Does anyone else struggle with like, doing homework and stuff? Because the other day I was trying to do my art homework (something which I used to enjoy, not the homework but art) and I literally did like a minutes worth of work. I just couldn't do it. Not because it was tough, I just couldn't. It probably sounds strange if you haven't experienced it I know.
I know what you mean. A lot of times it's physically impossible for me to do my homework (and my grades have gotten worse :-? )

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:42 pm

flipflopfetish wrote:
MusicalMorphine wrote:Does anyone else struggle with like, doing homework and stuff? Because the other day I was trying to do my art homework (something which I used to enjoy, not the homework but art) and I literally did like a minutes worth of work. I just couldn't do it. Not because it was tough, I just couldn't. It probably sounds strange if you haven't experienced it I know.
I know what you mean. A lot of times it's physically impossible for me to do my homework (and my grades have gotten worse :-? )
Yeah. I said before the holidays started that I was going to do it at the beginning to get it out of the way. But I didn't and now I actually can't do it. My grades have dropped too, and going into yr 11 on wednesday I fear I'm going to be in quite a lot of trouble this year. I just want to do it and get it out the way but I just can't.

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:10 pm

Not being able to do work is one of the symptoms of depression, because when my parents made me see a T because they thought I was depressed one of the questions she asked me was if I was having trouble sitting down and doing work and I lied and said no.