sleep/depression?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

how does your depression/mood affect the amount of sleep you get?

sleep more
46%
sleep the same
2%
sleep less
30%
do not sleep
14%
other
9%

Total votes: 123

Middleground
settling in
settling in

Post by Middleground » Sun May 23, 2004 9:43 am

I'm bipolar II. When I'm depressed, I need up to twelve hours of sleep to feel rested, but when I'm manic, I can have total insomnia - not sleep all night and feel none the worse for it. Sometimes I get into a "mixed state"... where I feel as hyper as mania.. but as hopeless as depressed... and in those I tend to get a few hours of fitful, unrefreshing sleep.
Through early morning fog I see.. visions of the things to be....

I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad - the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead
I open them and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

0 days.

oceanpoet
one of us
one of us

Post by oceanpoet » Tue May 25, 2004 12:39 am

I sleep way too much, as an escape mostly and lack of energy.
Then I get more depressed because I waste so much time sleeping. Not a healthy place. :sleeping:

Reflections
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Reflections » Tue May 25, 2004 1:47 am

I sleep ALOT more. I can easily sleep 16-20 hours a day, I'll get up for an hour or so and then just go back to bed (or sometimes I just lay in bed and stare at the wall until I fall back asleep.)
~ i know that i am meant for this world / my life has been extrordinary / blessed and cursed and won. ~

there_is_hope
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by there_is_hope » Wed May 26, 2004 12:45 am

i sleep less but sometimes alot
"Keep Moving Forward."- Meet the Robinsons

Si free since Sept 28/08

nirvana
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by nirvana » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:57 pm

bump.

:D
i thought i was a fool for no one, but baby i'm a fool for you.

[safe since february 2005.]

treasure
forum moderator - workshop & before & after
forum moderator - workshop & before & after

Post by treasure » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:08 am

i chose "other". at the moment my sleep cycle is making me stay awake all night and sleep in the afternoons. but i still have trouble falling asleep cos of depressive thoughts. my sleep pattern is different every day and i've only just got a little stability due to meds but that still isn't enough.

also i force myself to stay awake sometimes cos staring at the computer and being very tired is easier to deal with than resting and thinking.

aimee929
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors
Location: Virginia, land of hellish memories that I call home

depression

Post by aimee929 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:01 am

My sleep is SOOOOOO screwed up when I am depressed. I take naps all the time, stay up really late (usually till 3-4am) then sleep till 2-3pm the next day. But I tendto have a really hard time going to bed at night & getting to sleep...

once I am asleep, though....

Ironically, these problems with falling asleep qualify me to be diagnosed with insomnia, which happened about 4 1/2 years ago. I was put on Klonopin to help my anxiety and help me sleep.... and finally got off of it about 2 months ago. I haven't been really depressed lately, so I don't know how it will be when I am, when I can't get to sleep, and I have no Klonopin. I guess we'll see.

Anyway, regardless of the trouble falling asleep... I can sleep forever.

Aimee
"I don't have a love life. I have a like life." --Lorrie Moore, my favorite living writer

"The purpose of art is to hold a mirror up to the audience's noses and say: This is who you are... now change." --writer Edward Albee

"I have something to prove, as long as I know there's something that needs improvement, and you know that every time I move, I make a woman's movement." --singer Ani DiFranco

Lyndsie
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Lyndsie » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:42 am

I voted other because It just depends. Sometimes I get more sleep when i'm depressed. Other times i get less sleep when I'm like that.
That was a good idea for a poll.
~Lynzy

*Proud Member of SHACA* :cat2:

:) (I) Choose Friends Not Razor Blades :)

I LOVE YOU ALL, AND I LOVE ME, lol were all like one big happy family!!!!! :D

I want chicken I want liver meowmix meowmix please deliver
<A href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/dying2behappy/">My Live Journal</A> <A href="http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=Lynz579">My Xanga</A> <A href="http://www.createforum.com/phpbb/?mforu ... thself">My Forum</A>

TwistedVision
creating your space
creating your space

Post by TwistedVision » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:42 am

as ive become more and more depressed.... my sleep hasnt *changed really... i still get about the same amount, but....

there is NO WAY that i can lay down and get to sleep with-in like 30 minutes anymore...

im ussually awake untill around 4am when i force myself to try and sleep....

Ruby Tuesday
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Ruby Tuesday » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:06 am

i sleep more. far too much

i think sleeping is me trying to escape.
"I saw spiders where there were no spiders" - patti smith
"'My hands', she said, 'I've left them somewhere and now I can't find them.' She was holding her hands in the air, helplessly, as if she couldn't move them.
'They're right there', I said, 'On the end of your arms'
'No, no', she said impatiently, 'Not those , those are no good anymore. My other hands, the ones I had before, the ones I could touch things with.'" - margaret atwood

place