FOLKS! WE NEED YOUR INPUT! (Please read and reply!)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Do The Venting Threads Help You?

A Lot
36%
A Little
40%
No
22%
Other - please PM or post to explain
2%

Total votes: 45

collide
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by collide » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:13 pm

oh just to add....

i feel like that there are two things going on...kinda in the philosophy of AA or NA...

1) there is immediacy
2) there are long term goals

i think in all those threads that were mentioned sometimes we REALLY need to just get that emotion out...that's what i call IMMEDIACY...then in my experience that releases things to some extent where i can think more clearly and react or make more wise decisions...that's where the second part comes in...i think if there wasn't an IMMEDIACY place were you can just let out everything that's bothering u...then in my opinion (for example me)....because of my impulsivity and very strong reactions to what ppl say or what happens...i can/(sometimes still)...end up doing something that gets me into a bad situation and get revenge that is destructive towards myself and the other ppl involved

it's kinda like what some ppl also have written....sometimes writing out your feelings help A LOT...though only for that moment...not saying that it will solve your issues...but i HAVE a prob expressing my emotions IN REAL LIFE...i either suppress it til i explode...or i've reached the boiling point ant then REALLY explode...so i guess what i am trying to say...is that PLACES like this were one can have IMMEDIACY is great!!!!!!!!.....then later, one can have a better mind frame to think about what to do with whatever is bothering them

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=89417 (my POETRY)
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... &start=420 (my PLACE)
collide

"life is but a box of chocolates, u never know what you will get"

"i'm not crazy i'm just a little unwell- MATCHBOX 20"

whypie
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by whypie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:49 pm

What benefits do you think that the "venting" threads have to the forum?

It is somehwere to rant

-- What purpose do these threads have to you? Are they jumping-off points to work on issues, just places to vent, or what else?

to moan bout stuff

-- Do *you* as a user of the Coping Board (hey! even you lurkers!) think that these threads match with the goal/aim of Coping (and I quote: tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.)

hmmmm sort of, i think people post things they should post elsewhere like nest or in place

-- If these threads weren't available, how would you express your frustrations?

in place
[My Place]

*Hugs are always welcome*

Callisto
postmaster
postmaster

Post by Callisto » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:50 pm

I voted a lot.

These threads are beneficial to me because I tend to hold back my emotions and put on a brave face for the benefit of others, so they give me a way to express my emotions.

Also esp the Secrets thread, gives me somewhere to face up to things that I couldn't and wouldn't ever admit in a therapy situation and thus provide a jumping point for me to acknowledge and work on issues.

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:03 am

I don't come here very often b/c I have to admit I don't think I've seen much of threads that have been mentioned. I know at some point I've come across the place to cry thread, but beyond that I mostly see new topics starting a lot of the time instead of a continuation of a group of main ones. I find I more often use place for venting than here.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

~starblaze~
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by ~starblaze~ » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:30 pm

I have to say i think that the new thread on constructive venting by Licentia Poetica is really great and i think it will be one i will go to now instead of the other venting threads because i feel it is a more constructive way of dealing with what i would write in there and move on from it.

Thank you Licentia Poetica for starting it up, i hope many others will see how great it is and start using it :blush:

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:05 am

:) ooh people have used it!!

Sorry I get excited easily :wink:

I'm hoping to have that and a few more threads that are similar.. if they actually end up replacing the older ones without us having to move them or whatever.. that would be really cool.

But we'll see.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins