(possible triggers) New to group

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

nomorepain
one of us
one of us

(possible triggers) New to group

Post by nomorepain » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:33 pm

My name is Matt and this is my first post here. I guess I'm unusual in that I'm a 32 year old man who's battled with self harm tendencies. But my story parallels a lot of the ones I've read about on this board.

In highschool I struggled with an eating disorder. When I was 18, I began cutting on my arms and legs. Just superficial cuts, the scars usually faded within weeks. Then I stopped for several years. But started up again in my mid-20's. More cutting on my arms.

When I was 26 I cut for the first time on my wrist. Very superficial but enough to draw a little blood. Over the next six years I began scratching on my arms and legs until they would start bleeding. It's weird how I never saw the connection between my self harm and how bad I was feeling.

Anyway, four months ago I started cutting deep into my wrist, in the same spot over the course of a week. Until I became too weak to cut anymore. I missed a week's worth of work. Then my Dad and brother drove me to the psych hospital where I spent 4 to 6 weeks in/out patient.

Ever since that week of cutting I haven't felt right mentally. I feel like I have brain damage. My cognitive, vision and sexual function have all gotten worse.

So that's my story. I'm still trying to figure out how cutting on my wrist caused brain damage.

Thanks
Matt

magebaby
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by magebaby » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:49 pm

welcome to bus. i hope you find the help and support that you are looking for here.

feel free to pm me anytime if you want to talk.

take care, and try to stay safe. i hope things get better soon.

hugs, if ok,
magebaby
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." -- Vincent Van Gogh

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?" --Nelson Mandela

No hugs, thanks

nirvana
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by nirvana » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:05 am

hey... welcome to bus.

have a welcome cow. :cowsleep: it's tradition.

it's good to hear your story, but i'm sorry you have to struggle with si as well. i know it's a hard fight, but bus is very supportive. if you ever want to talk, feel free to e-mail or pm me.

*huggles* if okay.
tara.
i thought i was a fool for no one, but baby i'm a fool for you.

[safe since february 2005.]