Freezing up

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

pistachio
orange smartie
orange smartie

Freezing up

Post by pistachio » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:48 am

I am beating myself up again because every time someone talks about SI that doesn't know about me I completley freeze up. Today one of my "friends" talked about sum1 with scars and it killed me becuase she said it in front of me and another person I knew SI'd and I wanted to say something but I completley froze all the blood rushed to my head and untill the subject was awkwardly turned I just couldn't say a thing. THis was terrible for me becuase both of them knew about my SI, I used to just freeze around ppl who dint know. Now it's everyone, even my best friends.
Just here to ask ne1 if they have any tips on getting to be able to change the subject. Anything but just standing there would be nice.
thx
pistachio

nirvana
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by nirvana » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:25 am

sorry, no tips. i just tend to zone out or act uninterested when the topic comes up. it's not a fun one though.

:-?

-tara.
i thought i was a fool for no one, but baby i'm a fool for you.

[safe since february 2005.]

bright.eyes
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by bright.eyes » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:19 pm

Sorry that must be hard, i do know how you feel though, it can be so awkward, and its especially difficult when you're not expecting it. Recently someone just out right said to me "oh my god, what happened to your arm"... i just stared at her, i couldnt say anything, and she guessed. I don't really know wot to suggest... i guess maybe pretend you didnt hear, look in the other direction, change the subject, or even just make an excuse and walk away.
Take care :pinkstar:

Bridget0688
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Bridget0688 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:01 am

That's gotta be rough. I've never really been in that situation, but I can imagine that talking about it without talking about my experiences would suck. *hug*
hang in there, okay?

Much love,
Bridget
xo

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:38 am

'ya know, that's a difficult topic for me to hear about right now. mind if we talk about something else?'

pistachio
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by pistachio » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:57 am

thanks so much. will put these to use. thank god school is over at least, don't have to deal with annoying teachers (and students) for 3 months, lol
thanks again
pistachio

Orange Crush
creating your space
creating your space

Post by Orange Crush » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:29 pm

I know how you feel. I once had to sit through a PSHE lesson about suicide, depression and SI. I felt like I had a big red flashing light over my head. I normally have a lot to say in those lessons but I couldn't say anything.

It's always hard to change the subject but just act like you're not interested and they will probably change it for you.
~xMichellex~
My little empire
I :heart: :1hug:
4 days SI free