Coping with the death of a friend

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Rudiger
one of us
one of us

Coping with the death of a friend

Post by Rudiger » Thu May 20, 2004 10:03 pm

My friend just died last Monday when he pulled in front of a semi and got killed. He was only 17. I am not dealing with it well at all. It still seems very surreal. I keep looking in the newspaper thinking the obiturary somehow will have dissappeard, seeing it in there just feels like a dream.

I dunno how to deal with this, my dad keeps gettin mad 'cause I'm upset. And, so I keep cutting.

What do I do? :(

beyond inspiring
beyond inspiring

Post by 8586 » Thu May 20, 2004 10:25 pm

I am so sorry, that sounds like such a horrible thing to have to deal with.

First, I think you should be able to cry or be upset and express your sadness in anyway you can... that's healthy! Don't listen to your father, at this time he should be conforting you, not getting mad at you. I am sorry he isn't being supportive of you while you're trying to cope.

Cutting wont help - try to stay strong and avoid it if possible.

And by the way, welcome to bus!! :D

Please take care of yourself.
Cry as I may, but these tears won't wash you away...

erinmv
honored elder
honored elder

Post by erinmv » Thu May 20, 2004 11:58 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any real way to make sense of this tragedy right now. But it's only been a few days. You don't need to. Right now it's important that you mourn the loss of your friend. You have every right to be upset and if someone else can't understand that, that's their problem--and you don't need to fix their problem. You need to get everything out now because if you don't and you just stuff it away somewhere, it'll eventually come out. And it will be worse. It's important to be aware of your emotions. So be sad. Be angry. And talk to people. Talk to your other friends or his family, they're going through this tough time too. Talk to people here. But just talk. And I know you feel overwhelmed, but try not to hurt yourself. You need to be comforted and treated with kindness and you need to be the first person to do that. Hang in there. It'll get better.
Your suffering will free you
***OTEP***