Help me, please...

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

jenica h.
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Help me, please...

Post by jenica h. » Mon May 17, 2004 10:28 pm

I was diagnosed with Bipolar I six months ago, and I've been through so many different medication combos, it makes my head spin.

My problem... I've been more negative lately-- hightened paranoia, easily irritable, crying fits... etc. etc. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Can someone give me some support, or ideas how to work for a more positive mindset? Hugs are welcome, too.
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

SI Free

nirvana
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by nirvana » Tue May 18, 2004 1:15 am

first off, (((((((HUGS))))))))

sorry, things sound rough. do you have a T you could talk to? anyone? there's a post in the sourcebook with an amazing trick for eliminating negative thoughts, and there have been lots of positive reviews (havn't tried it personally). it's at: http://busmail.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17098.

that's one way. does writing things down help? maybe to sort out your feelings? i only write when i'm upset. i pick up a journal, and start out by saying how i feel. even if there's no word for it. sometimes i'm not sure, so i just rate it from 1-10, one being the worst. and try not to get frustrated if you can't think of an adjective for your feelings, because that was hard for me to learn. write out anything you're afraid of, annoyed with, etc., and write letters to people (you don't even need to give them away). just explain what's bothering you. sometimes getting stuff out of my head and onto paper helps me get rid of them for a while, until i'm ready to sort them out.

during crying fits, i tend to lock myself in my room. i either go under the covers, and i always sleep with a giant teddy bear, because i do most of my crying at night. it's okay to let yourself cry; don't try and stop the tears. it can be relieving.

i'll try and think of more, but good luck. hope you find something, and i'm always here to talk if you need me.

love, tara.
i thought i was a fool for no one, but baby i'm a fool for you.

[safe since february 2005.]

Seeshellz
my other car is a bus
my other car is a bus

I'm bipolar too.

Post by Seeshellz » Tue May 18, 2004 2:31 am

I'm sorry to hear you have bipolar and aren't doing very well. I know how it is on meds. and sometimes it takes time for the doc. to find the right combo. for you.

I cope when I flipout or have a crisis by distracting myself with something I like. Also I've learned to self-soothe. Lots of bubble baths and candles and nice relaxing music. I write in a journal, first I try and write out my feelings and figure out whats going on with myself and then I try and write out a plan. If it gets too bad I call a crisis line for help and sometimes just to talk.

I wish I could give you a big hug! They help too.

I hope I have helped you.

Your new friend, Shelley

jenica h.
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by jenica h. » Tue May 18, 2004 2:41 am

Thank you for your suggestions, Tara & Shelley.
I guess I need to treat myself better when I feel bad. Next time, I'll try to "self-soothe" when I'm hurting.
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

SI Free