music is my outlet...(long post) music helps me ALOT!

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

LoverlyLaurie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

music is my outlet...(long post) music helps me ALOT!

Post by LoverlyLaurie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:25 am

I know that whenever I'm feeling really down, listening to music sometimes helps...for some people listening to up beat music when you're sad seems to help...for me, i listen to slower, more soothing music that's sorta sentimental to me or tells a story in the song that i feel i can relate to at that moment. It helps me to look at my sad feelings and validate them, so i know that it's okay to feel sad. When I'm in a good mood, I like to listen to up beat music because that way I can sort of "keep the good mood going".

All this is the same for me when i play music. I play the piano, and I'm learning guitar right now...Even if you don't think you have "talent" with music, i suggest going to a music store and just asking to play around with a guitar or piano...it has really helped me to express myself instead of holding it all inside.

In my case, I don't like being taught a certain way, or that i need to play from a lesson book, so i suggest just learning on your own...you can work at your own pace, play whatever you want, and there's a really great feeling of accomplishment that you did it on your own with no one else's interference.

From personal experience, today I SI-ed and right after, i played a sad song that related to how i was feeling. It let me feel the sadness rather than the numbness i was trying to get rid of by SI-ing. Then later i felt happy and i played more up-beat songs to sort of "stay with" the happy vibe i was feeling.

Hope this helps someone to cope!

L
My Place
My You Tube

The needle tears a hole. The old familiar sting. Try to kill it all the way. But I remember everything.
And you could have it all. My empire of dirt. I will let you down. I will make you hurt.

♥ Artemesia is my soul sister ♥

Jamas
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Re: music is my outlet...(long post) music helps me ALOT!

Post by Jamas » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:07 am

That's really great. I gave away my musical instruments before I moved, but i miss them, and i still find that making music helps me to feel better.

la, la, la la...

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Re: music is my outlet...(long post) music helps me ALOT!

Post by 5th section » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:37 pm

I SI-ed and right after, i played a sad song that related to how i was feeling. It let me feel the sadness rather than the numbness i was trying to get rid of
i completely agree. I've always found that using music as a coping method, it's best if you let the music meet you where you are, in other words if you're feeling thoroughly depressed you start with music that's pretty sad and , if you like, work upwards... (as someone from what you might rather pretentiously call a "classical background", wich means nothing more or less than that i've played in a couple of orchestras because they were desperate for players, I absolutely LOVE Mahler's Das Klagende Lied for exactly that reason. just a suggestion?)
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009