I'm feeling better than I have in months!

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Kezi
one of us
one of us

I'm feeling better than I have in months!

Post by Kezi » Fri May 15, 2009 1:15 pm

On Wednesday, I went for my first riding lesson in five years and I swear half an hour on a horse did me more good than three years on anti-depressants. I was sooo nervous about going, since I was always a nervous rider before, but when I got there I did really well and nothing beats the pride of finally doing something you've been scared of for so long! I'd been wanting to start riding again for ages (to be honest, I never really wanted to stop in the first place) but I was always scared that I'd chicken out and refuse to get on the horse or something, and then I'd never stop beating myself up about it so I thought it could make me feel even worse. I'm so glad I finally did it! Even the instructor was impressed with my riding. I did have a slightly embarrassing incident - when I went to dismount I jumped down and landed awkwardly and ended up flat on my bum on the floor... :lol: But I'm so proud of myself, and I'm hoping the good feeling will carry me all the way through to next week when I have my next lesson!

Thought I'd post this in the "coping" forum in case anyone else feels it might work for them - not only has it majorly boosted my self-confidence in terms of riding, but it's a way of getting exercise and it forces me to meet new people and get used to being out and about, after having been shut away in my house more or less 24/7 since my breakdown. If I had the money I'd be horse shopping by now...
:owt:

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Fri May 15, 2009 5:54 pm

That's awesome! Way to go!
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

hedgepig
building community
building community

Post by hedgepig » Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 pm

that's brilliant - Well done you!!
\\\\__.
_\\\\'/____

"Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions." -David Borenstein

mirroredinsets
creating your space
creating your space

Post by mirroredinsets » Tue May 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Congratulations. :)

This has happened fairly recently for me as well, though with my own passion rather than riding.

Doing what you love and/or are good at helps with so many things. I feel like it's the key to improving so many lives.

Good post. :)

Kal452
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Kal452 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 pm

That's great news to hear, well done!
Cogito Ergo Sum

My first cow:

VowsOfSadness
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by VowsOfSadness » Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 am

this was awesome to hear I'm proud of you for going after something you want. I admire that!! :star: :star: :star: :star:
*Challenges welcome*
I always love a :lpurpstar:

I woke up this morning, I suddenly realized we're all in this together.

Drop by my place & say hi :)
Ask me anything!!!

I'm fully Recovered!