Pain Management *SI*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

CheshireCat
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Pain Management *SI*

Post by CheshireCat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:55 am

How do you deal with physical pain?

My SI is very intertwined with medical problems - chronic physical pain. I was wondering if anyone has ideas about coping with pain that we don't have control over.

Thanks for any ideas.
We're all mad here.
:scatter:
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces. . .
. . . Children waitin' for the day they feel good
Happy birthday, happy birthday. . .
. . . Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson?
Look right through me, look right through me.

My Place

HanHanny
settling in
settling in

Post by HanHanny » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you have to suffer... I did once read somewhere that, instead of trying to ignore pain, simply think 'yeah, it hurts' and try to work around it.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:43 am

I suffer from chronic pain myself and sometimes it gets bad enough that I irrationally think that SI will magically make it 'better', but the truth is is adding pain on top of pain doesn't make much in the way of sense.

HanHanny has a good throught process - acknowledge the pain and try to work around it (or through it?). The other thing that I do that helps me is to go easy on myself. If I'm hurting, and it's something that's out of my control, I am not going to make it worse by thinking/doing things that I'm not capable of doing at the moment - you can't knock a brick wall down by running into it, you can only hurt yourself, if you get my crappy metaphor.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: