A rescue bird

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

ValpoU
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

A rescue bird

Post by ValpoU » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 am

I don't know if this would be helpful or therapeutic to some, but I know it's really helped me out when things get really bad.

Some birds have problems with SI. I have a cockatiel that is a feather plucker. He pulls out the feathers under his wings. I've tried desperately to get him some help but nothing has worked. He is who he is. I hate that he puts himself through that, but at the same time I feel a lot closer to him because I can empathize with what he is going through.

Many feather pluckers get abandoned and left with bird rescues. It might make some of you feel really good to adopt one of them. At times taking care of that little guy has made me feel like I have a purpose.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:30 pm

That's wonderful that you've adopted the bird, and that you've told us about this.

^^
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

fire.bird
growing roots
growing roots

Post by fire.bird » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:41 pm

:) :) :)

my cat obsessively licks all the fur off of her stomach and back legs.

you're right ... something about taking care of an animal you can relate to is tremendously soothing.
i feel the sun on my back
i smell the earth in my skin
i see the sky above me like a full recovery