Relationship with someone new

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Scar
settling in
settling in

Relationship with someone new

Post by Scar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:55 am

I just met a new guy who I really like, and one day (soon) things will progress...

I have bandaids on random parts of my body and I'm terrified he'll ask questions.

I can't bear to let him see or know.

Help, please.

lostmum
one of us
one of us

Post by lostmum » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:29 pm

How do you think he'll react? As an outsider its easy to say that if he isn't cool he's not the right one for you - but that doesn't make it any easier!

Thing is if you lie about it then you've started your relationship off with a lie and it'll be difficult to build something good from that... maybe wait to progress till you're ready to talk to him about it?

Good luck
x

Stefani140
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Stefani140 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:05 pm

I agree that you don't want to lie, but I also don't think you should sit down on a second date and tell him all about it (that will likely scare him away). If he asks about it things get a little sticky, you can either tell him the truth or tell him that you aren't really ready to talk about it but you'll tell him if things get more serious.

That is how I've always handled it, just said I didn't want to talk about it until things were a bit more serious. Then when things became more serious it was easier to talk about anyway because there is more trust there. That is my advice, take it for what its worth and good luck. :D
"Even if you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it does not mean you're wrong."

PMs, comments, challenges, advice and hugs welcome.

My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128060

Scar
settling in
settling in

Post by Scar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 pm

lostmum wrote:How do you think he'll react? As an outsider its easy to say that if he isn't cool he's not the right one for you - but that doesn't make it any easier!

Thing is if you lie about it then you've started your relationship off with a lie and it'll be difficult to build something good from that... maybe wait to progress till you're ready to talk to him about it?

Good luck
x
I have to admit that I don't know him well enough to know how he'll react. The last person I was "with" was a friend-with-benefits. I didn't care much about him, so it wasn't a problem. I had a bandaid, he asked what it was, and I said, "a bandaid." He never asked again. I wasn't so close with him. This new boy, I actually kind of care about him, and I wouldn't want to deceive him. On the other hand, I don't want to be honest yet.

I guess I'll have to wait and see, and maybe postpone things for a bit. I admit, it's a bit premature to worry just yet, but I have the habit of worrying earlier than needed, haha.

Thank you so much for your help.

Scar
settling in
settling in

Post by Scar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Stefani140 wrote:I agree that you don't want to lie, but I also don't think you should sit down on a second date and tell him all about it (that will likely scare him away). If he asks about it things get a little sticky, you can either tell him the truth or tell him that you aren't really ready to talk about it but you'll tell him if things get more serious.

That is how I've always handled it, just said I didn't want to talk about it until things were a bit more serious. Then when things became more serious it was easier to talk about anyway because there is more trust there. That is my advice, take it for what its worth and good luck. :D
Thank you for this. I agree that once there is trust, it would be easier to discuss. This has only come up once before, and when it did I was very close with the person. He was the only person who knew all of my secrets, and I trusted him completely. He also had experience with this sort of thing before, which made it easier. He totally knew how to handle it.

I will just say that I don't want to discuss it yet if it comes up.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm starting to feel a little less anxious about our next date, haha.

Stefani140
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Stefani140 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:00 pm

You're very welcome, I am glad I could be of help. Good luck on the next date and feel free to PM me for anything. :D
"Even if you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it does not mean you're wrong."

PMs, comments, challenges, advice and hugs welcome.

My Place: http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128060

Scar
settling in
settling in

Post by Scar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Stefani140 wrote:You're very welcome, I am glad I could be of help. Good luck on the next date and feel free to PM me for anything. :D
Thanks. The next date is on Friday, we'll see how it goes.

WOW, thanks for the offer. I almost started to cry. I've never openly discussed this before (this was my first post, I signed up just for this problem), and I'm shocked there is someone who I can do that with. Thank you.