bad memories

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

bad memories

Post by marshmallowfluff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 pm

this is going to sound pathetic, and i'd imagine people would wonder what the big deal is (i would if it wasnt about me :roll:), but its actually really upsetting me.

my mum died last year. we have this scent in our house, you know them plug in air freshners? we have the same one at the mo that we had around christmas last year. christmas time last year i was very depressed and suicidal, and this smell is making me feel quite awful. it reminds me of my mum in an indirect way; its not completely related to her but to the feelings i felt when she died.
it reminds me of christmas last year and how awful it was, as it was the first christmas without her. i wasn't too phased by christmas this year because i recognise i have no choice but to get on with it, but its making me think of last year and how horrible i felt.
i can't change the plug thing, because i live with my dad and its his stupid choice of scent, so what else can i do to stop me thinking all these bad things? it is, in some stupid pathetic way, triggering me.
i dont know how to explain it, really. its triggering me to think things i would rather not. im not having an specific memories relatin to xmas, just xmas in general, if you get what i mean? who'd have though something as insignificant as an air freshner would make me feel so awful :roll:
thank you :)
Last edited by marshmallowfluff on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

zombiepeople
knows the ropes
knows the ropes
Location: next to the spooky bus stop...i've never seen a bus there though...hmm

Post by zombiepeople » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:29 pm

I dont' think it sounds pathetic at all. Even small things like the scent of an air-freshener or a certain sound or object can trigger sadness or negative emotions after you go through something as hard as losing someone you love, even if the object isn't directly related to that person.

Maybe if you explain to your dad how badly the scent of the air-freshener makes you feel, he'd change it. I don't know how your dad is about things like that though...mine would probably think I was being silly and refuse to change it.

Do you journal at all? Many times for me, writing my feelings down in a journal or something like that really helps with urges, especially when it comes to missing someone.
"Wouldn't it be great to heal the world with only a song?"
~Serj Tankian
"Honking Antelope

Luscious Peanut
settling in
settling in

Post by Luscious Peanut » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:41 am

Your sense of smell is the sense tied most closely to your memory. It makes perfect sense.
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
Emile Zola

5th section
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring
Location: if rain makes Britain great then Manchester is greater

Post by 5th section » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:20 pm

I think you should mention it to your dad - I doubt that not having the scent would be as upsetting for him as having it is for you. there must be other things he can use.
and it's certainly not pathetic. Smells can be very powerfully linked with memories. I can understand that a lot (the smell of cheap disinfectant makes me feel really triggery, but that's another story :roll: )
...then one day I realised that the people you see in waiting rooms and car parks and on trains are really far more interesting. That they all have whole novels inside them, a fabric of scar tissues, photos and memories. They are comedies and tragedies and - more often - both at the same time.
- Anna James (1984-2007)

son of ultimate starshine / brother of Eisa & Sprink / Birdie's ornithologist / married to Mande / Chey's uncle
- my place
- my band (or more accurately, the band of which I am the bassist) some SI/SU triggers in lyrics...proceed with caution...

GOING STRAIGHT SINCE 1ST DECEMBER 2009

BlacKat
growing roots
growing roots

Post by BlacKat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 am

Smells can definitely be triggery - actually I read somewhere (can't find it now) that our sense of smell is the most connected to our emotional memories of any of our senses. I agree with talking with your dad if you can, but I know that my parents would tell me I'm being silly, so your call. If not can you maybe find some perfume or cook something really smelly or just find something else to smell when it's getting overwhelming?
Nox et Dies

No hugs, please. Pretty flowers, butterflies, and cups of tea are appreciated. So are cats. Or random stuff.