Has anyone taken meds for this

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Luscious Peanut
settling in
settling in

Has anyone taken meds for this

Post by Luscious Peanut » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:05 pm

I had meetings all day today. I'm a Special Ed teacher, and those kids are wild and keep me on my toes --it's a great (and overwhelming) job for me. But meetings... my mind just wandered to cutting. All day. I started planning. I don't want it to get to the point where I'm doing it at work. During lunch recess. I could bleed through, get caught. How do you get your mind off it??? I looked at corvette stingray interiors for awhile. That helped. There's the cliche of guys thinking about baseball when they're trying to 'hold out,' if you know what I mean.

One of my shrinks mentioned taking meds to suppress the pleasure response I get from SI (is that the right acronym?). I don't wanna be numb for weeks at a time. I'm bipolar. I wanna have lots of sex with my young, freak of nature hubby.

Anyone ever taken drugs like this (or heard of them) before? What was your experience?

Thanks,
Luci Pea
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work."
Emile Zola

Luscious Peanut
settling in
settling in

Post by Luscious Peanut » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:57 am

...Or know of someone who has?? It sounds scary.
Emile Zola

chameleon
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by chameleon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Hiya Pea

It wouldn't be the right thing for me for sure. I don't know if theyre on the right track about there being a pleasure response to SI. For me, SI suppresses my emotions, I *become* numb and use it to stay numb and feel in control. I certainly don't need meds to make me more so. But maybe it's different for others.

For me too, SI is a night-time and/or alone thing. I guess I don't think of the daytime as a time or place of opportunity for it. If I feel urges I usually promise myself that if I still really feel like doing it when I get home, then I can. But not until. Tools stay at home too.

Hope it helps.
~Chameleon~

soulonfire928
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by soulonfire928 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 am

I don't know specifically what meds your doc is referring to...ones that inhibit the pleasure response sounds sketchy to me, as it sounds like it may inhibit the pleasure response to other things.

I personally have taken a variety of meds to treat my dx of borderline personality disorder. Started off with Lexapro, tried Effexor, Abilify (I believe that was prescribed with the Lexapro), Zoloft (which I'm currently on) and Zyprexa, which I take with the Zoloft.

I personally am doing so much better right now. I'm really thankful that I got on something. On a side note, sometimes some of these meds can make you feel worse...like I tried Wellbutrin not too long ago to quit smoking, and I became really depressed and SU in like 2 days after starting it.

It really is a crapshoot with medication. Its very trial and error, as you can see from the ones I've been on...those were all within a year.

I would suggest considering it...once I found the right combo, it was amazing how much better I've felt.

Luscious Peanut
settling in
settling in

Naltrexone? Suboxon?

Post by Luscious Peanut » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 am

Suboxon, Naltrexone. I think it was one of those. I wonder if anyone's taken those. They DO sound sketchy. I was wondering if anyone else has taken them to see if they screwed up their sex life...
Emile Zola

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:14 am

Suboxone, Naltrexone
Both of these bind to opioid receptors in the brain.

Suboxone is an agonist, meaning that it imitates the effects of natural opioids (endorphins) as well as heroin/morphine. It is indicated on-label for management of opioid dependency. More details here: http://www.drugs.com/pro/suboxone.html.

Naltrexone is an antagonist, meaning that it blocks the effects of opioids. It is indicated on-label for management of both alcohol and opioid dependency. More details here: http://www.drugs.com/pro/naltrexone.html.

There is no indication from those sites of sex-life side-effects.

There is no reported evidence that Suboxone can be used to manage SI (a PubMed search turns up zip). However, there is some evidence that Naltrexone can. To quote from a 2004 review:

"A sample of 27 research articles involving 86 subjects with self-injury was reviewed. Eighty percent of subjects were reported to improve relative to baseline (i.e., SIB reduced) during naltrexone administration and 47% of subjects SIB was reduced by 50% or greater."

HTH.

kiwi

Disclaimer: I am a biomedical research scientist (PhD, not MD).

Luscious Peanut
settling in
settling in

Post by Luscious Peanut » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 am

wow dude. thanks, exactly what I needed.
thanks.
Emile Zola

kiwi33
board admin
board admin

Post by kiwi33 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:19 am

:)

gravity_defiant
growing roots
growing roots

Re: Naltrexone? Suboxon?

Post by gravity_defiant » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:52 am

Luscious Peanut wrote:Suboxon, Naltrexone. I think it was one of those. I wonder if anyone's taken those. They DO sound sketchy. I was wondering if anyone else has taken them to see if they screwed up their sex life...
I had a friend from IOP who I'm pretty sure has taken Naltrexone. This was ages ago, but I think she said it helped her with SI. I don't recall her commenting either way on its effect on her sex life.

Hope that's at least a little bit helpful...