how?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

jennserczyk
one of us
one of us

how?

Post by jennserczyk » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:12 am

i'm stuck on how to talk to the people that i live with about my si. they are my two best friends and i know that they will want to help me in any way that they can, but how do i approach them? :help:

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:27 pm

write down all the things you want to say. it doesn't have to be a speech that you make, but just the general gist.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

kermit
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by kermit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:04 pm

Yeah, if you can try and get it straight in your head what things you want to say it will be easier.

Don't try and talk to them when they are busy or on their way somewhere etc. Maybe try an evening when you are all in and say you want to talk to them about something.

You could explain that it's hard for you to have the conversation.

Be prepared for them to be a little shocked and give them time for it to sink in. These people are your friends and it's always hard to hear that a friend is in pain.

I hope it goes well.
and tomorrow will come
When today is done...

"To me, photographyis an art of observation. It's all about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see, and everything to do with the way you see them."
- Elliott Erwitt

onlypurples
bus addict
bus addict

Post by onlypurples » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:45 pm

First you need to figure out what you hope to accomplish by telling them you self-injure. Why are you telling them? How will this help you? What are any possible consequences of telling them?

Once you can figure this out, you can then figure out exactly WHAT you need to tell them. Knowing what to say is a big step and it can also determine how you tell them.
I'm always a shade of purple...

"Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness" - Psalm 51:14 (TLB)

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~Dan Rather

http://www.mercyministries.org/