This Helps Me...!

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

SarahBee
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

This Helps Me...!

Post by SarahBee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:38 am

So I told a friend of mine that I've been intensely urgy over the past few days and about half an hour later I had an email from her with a list of fifteen ridiculous things I had to find on the internet. The rule was that I wasn't allowed to blitz them all at once (although I was allowed to carry on finding them if finding one didn't help) and I could only look for them when I was feeling urgy as a way to keep me occupied.

They range from photos of celebrities doing strange things to multi-coloured top hats to inflatable llamas and more!

I don't know if it would help anyone else, but lately when I've been feeling urgy I've looked at the list and tried to find the next thing on it. It can take me hours and by the time I'm done the feeling's passed.

Like I said, don't know if it would help anyone else to have someone give you a crazy online treasure hunt but it does me, and I even get a good laugh out of sharing the links to what I've found!
<center>"You were
water to me
deep and bold and fathoming....
You were
sunrise to me
rise and warm and streaming....
<b>Go to your wide futures, you said.</b>"

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

<b><a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=122444"> My Place!</a></b>

I'm.that.forgettable.
creating your space
creating your space

Post by I'm.that.forgettable. » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:54 am

oh, that sounds fun. :) d'you think you could post up a list of something like that?

<3 I'm.that.forgettable.
hugs and pms are perfectly okay.

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Bodycount *possible trigs* (My Place)

"You know the thing about hope, how it sneaks up behind you when you're sure everything's in the toilet, and starts whispering to you that maybe, just maybe, things could turn around." --Joan Bauer, from Rules of the Road

SarahBee
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by SarahBee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:53 pm

Haha, sure! Just give me a bit to think of a list... in fact, any help from anyone would be great, and might make the list even more fun. =D
<center>"You were
water to me
You were
sunrise to me

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:14 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun! :) I'm looking forward to seeing a list - no pressure though :tongue: :tongue:

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

breathing
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by breathing » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:31 pm

Ooh, this is a really good idea! *plots*

freespeechz
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by freespeechz » Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 am

I got bored. I'm not exactly sure if all of these are possible. Let me know if this helps anyone. :D -Sam.:purpstar:

1. Find a new camera. It has to be blue and silver, 7megapixels minimum, and be good for action photos.
2. Find a website that you really enjoy the layout/web design of.
3. Find a retro poster on eBay with a pin-up girl and a jukebox.
4. Close your eyes, turn to a window and point. Research and identify the plant nearest to where you're pointing.
5. Find a picture of a wall. Find an old hag, military boots, and a turtle in it.
6. Find a video on Youtube that shows you how to moonwalk. Learn how to moonwalk.
7. Find a pair of pants with five chains on it. And a star.
8. Find a comic about a person who thinks he is a cat.
9. Find out which country drinks the most mango juice.
10. Go to dafonts.com. Find five of the most ridiculous and illegible fonts you can.
maybe someday
place tumblr twitter

SarahBee
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by SarahBee » Mon May 19, 2008 1:30 am

Ahh I completely forgot about this! I meant to make a list AGES ago. =S

I love yours though Sam; it's brilliant!
<center>"You were
water to me
You were
sunrise to me

freespeechz
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by freespeechz » Mon May 19, 2008 1:40 am

Haha, quite alright. It was fun to make it up. Was kindof helping me cope too, since I couldn't ask people to find stuff about certain topics, therefore I couldn't let myself think about that. Now I'm wondering if it really is possible to find those. Mango juice indeed. :roll:
maybe someday
place tumblr twitter

Holi
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Holi » Mon May 19, 2008 8:20 pm

1. Go 'wikipedia article hopping' - Start with the random article button, and start reading, and click links to other articles as you read it, see how random and off-topic you can get. (I've tried it, it's amazing how far you can get)
2. Get 2 random names from the top of your head, RANDOM, eg Fredrick Smith, and search them in google, and see if you can find a famous person with that name. Find out EVERYTHING there is to know about the person. You can also do this for a real celebrity you want to know about, or try and find someone from real life?
3. Get a picture with a shade of a colour you like, maybe the colour of the sky in a particular photo, or something. Find an item of clothing with that exact colour. Maybe, if you have lotsa time, pick a photo, and create a colour wardrobe from the colours in the picture. Really random idea, but it takes ages.

All I can think of at the minute, I've tried the first one when I was fighting urges, not the other 2 as of yet, but they take AGES and occupy you. :D

:dkpurpstar:

Anactoria
bus addict
bus addict

Post by Anactoria » Mon May 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Aw, that is such a good idea. :D