Taking care of larger wounds *SI*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Mauntberg
one of us
one of us

Taking care of larger wounds *SI*

Post by Mauntberg » Sat May 17, 2008 8:53 am

Hello,

How to take care of the larger cutting wounds, ones that are kind of "open"? For me they usually make large scars, as band-aid does not holds both parts of wound together and falls eventually. I heard it is possible somehow to keep both parts of wound together without stiches, what I need to do that?

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sat May 17, 2008 4:03 pm

You should go to the ER for wounds like that. That is your best bet, and a doctor can treat you properly.

You can use steri-strips to close the wound. Make sure that the wound does not get infected; if you notice ANY signs of infection, see a doctor immediately.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon May 19, 2008 12:41 am

Steristrips will help - ask for them at the chemist, but honestly I really urge you to go to the ER. I've had wounds that have taken several months to heal, and I've damaged my arm permanently (it hurts when I move it a certain way), because I thought I could take care of it myself. Seriously, it know it sucks going to the ER, but when you really can't take care of something yourself, it really sucks less.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

freespeechz
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by freespeechz » Mon May 19, 2008 1:10 am

Yeah, Steri-strips or butterfly closures, and you can use medical tape in the same way. But real stitches are more advisable if your wound is serious, and be careful about infection, keep everything clean if you decide to treat your wound yourself.
maybe someday
place tumblr twitter