I don't know what to do (Help)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

bg
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

I don't know what to do (Help)

Post by bg » Fri May 16, 2008 4:07 am

Saw my DBT today. I also have a CBT who is my primary therapist for 6 years. Today "they" decided that they would see me together each week at the same time. One week would be CBT, while the DBT observed, and visa versa. So to me, they just cut my therapy in half, I only "process" in CBT, so I only have therapy every two weeks, effectively.

I feel invaded, I don't want to open up in front of two, it intimidates me. And when I see them both together, my CBT is very clinical, not nurtuing. They think it will be more effective, but I see it as a let down. They cancelled my therapy appt's next week, and are starting right away, but the first session is a bitch session, basically, to me, because I have been splitting. Telling different things to each of them, not consistent. I feel betrayed by my CBT, like she doesn't want to treat me as much, but they say that's not the case. This seems highly unusual to me, my CBT said she would never do anything that was not helpful to me, but one of her boundaries is cancelling appt's if i self harm, because she doesn't want to "encourage or reward that behavior", she says.I told them both last time how I thought the whole profession was (expletive). It doesn't help the patient when they set all these bounbdaries.

I agreed to try it, but I'm not very happy about it at all, I want to see my CBT alone each week, now i can't.
always alone :(

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Fri May 16, 2008 12:30 pm

They are NOT helping you. Reading what you've written in previous posts, it doesn't seem like they are doing ANYTHING that is going to help you get a grip on your SI or your life.

Maybe it's time to consider re-evaluating the relationship you have with them.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 am

Find new therapists. Doesn't sound right to me.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins