I need to "cope"

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

ifevry1crd
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

I need to "cope"

Post by ifevry1crd » Mon May 12, 2008 2:36 pm

I need help "coping". I know all the tricks and what I should try. I've been searching online for a few days for tips on what to do when I want to cut, but even though I know the theory,I can't get myself to apply it. What should I do? I keep telling myself to write in my journal or read a book or color on myself, but it doesn't take away the urge, and I feel like maybe I don't want to stop...

~Lost and Hiding~ :roll:

Brit
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by Brit » Thu May 15, 2008 5:21 am

Try to be stronger than your urge. Try the 15 minute technique or however many minutes you think you can handle.

It goes like this: when you feel urgey, look to your list and think about what you could do instead of cut. Time yourself for how long you want to make your goal of not cutting. Say it is fifteen minutes. Set a timer for 15 minutes. For the entire 15 minutes your timer is set for, try some other coping mechanism you have. When your 15 minutes are up, then it is your decision what to do, but be proud that you fought that urge for however long you fought for. If you still feel urgey, set the timer again (if you feel up to it).

This is just one idea to motivate you to use your other coping mechanisms. You have them, you just have to learn how to use them. You are on a good start. I have read a previous post that says you have tried reading to distract you. Great Job. Keep it up.

Also have you looked at the distractions and games forum on here. It is a great place to go when you feel urgey but just want something fun to take your mind off of things.

Take care, and my PM box is always open if you want to chat.
:bluestar:
:star: Hugs and PM's Welcome :star:

I will miss you Helba.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu May 15, 2008 12:20 pm

i agree with brit: using the "i won't cut for 2/5/15 minutes" deal is a good start.

the other thing is challenge yourself. challenge your ability to have the urge. do one of the things listed on the coping strategies list, or anything here, and if you STILL have the urge after doing it, think about why. urges aren't necessairly the enemy; they're there for a reason.

try the questions in before and after?
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: