what do you think - horses? (coping)

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Amaryllis
building community
building community

what do you think - horses? (coping)

Post by Amaryllis » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi there

I normally hang out in the over 30s forum, but I have a wider question about coping that I thought you guys might help me with.

Overall I am doing well. Self harm is no longer the major feature it was in my life 5 years ago. One minor slip in the last couple of years. Life is ok - home, job, therapy etc. Not 100% fantastic but usually 60 - 85% ok. And thats pretty good for me.

But I am still spending lots of money on therapy and lean quite hard on my T when I have to. And it looks like thats the way it will continue...

BUT I don't want to invest my life savings in my T and I would like to learn to stand on my feet.

I have a particular interest in horses. I am learning to ride as an adult and plan to learn about harness work too. I am thinking long term of buying my own and getting an interest outside of myself to help deal with stress, anxiety and depression. And slowly phasing down my T appointments (currently once a fortnight more in times of crisis).

From experience I know that spending time with animals is very good for me. I wondered how other people find time with their horses and whether its 'good therapy' for them.
'Action defeats Despair'

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:49 am

I love animals :D
Just being around them make me feel better.

Horseback riding is really fun and great excersize! learning about it and horses is a great idea!

darlinglili
settling in
settling in

Post by darlinglili » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:49 pm

I'm not sure that phasing out your therapy is a good idea necessarily, but maybe once a fortnight is a good plan. I'd advise against getting a horse for now because they're very expensive and really hard work when you're the only person looking after them - maybe go riding more often, and spend some time volunteering in the stables? Even go on a trekking holiday for the weekend, they're loads of fun. I really miss riding!

But congratulations on doing so well, I'm really proud of you.
"I'm so sweet, even I can't stand it." - Julie Andrews

the edge of the world
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by the edge of the world » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:22 am

I dunno. I just know that I lost all my energy started SIing less than a year after I stopped riding (I rode for about 12 years, going to the stables almost every day, and then stopped suddenly upon entering high school to concentrate more of my studies/ because I found fear after close call with my horse's hoof after a fall). I always found horses very theraputic. I miss horses. They always listen and you can trust them. I hope it works for you.