For those who hear voices

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

searching_for_solace
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

For those who hear voices

Post by searching_for_solace » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:44 am

I have made a connection latley and I have realized that my hallucinations get so very much worse and come on so fast when my blood sugar is low.

First my hands start shaking, and I feel weak and dizzy, and if other people are around I begin to get very very anxcious in social situations, I end up hiding in the bathroom, trying to calm down.

Then the voices come back and they start talking to me, which hightens my anxiety to panic, sometiems i'm rivited with utter trepidation, and it doesn't even begin to discribe it. I'm so tired of down playing everything when people ask me about it. I usualy say "I got scared" when it would be more accurite to say "it rivited me in utter trepidation"

Less things like that happen, I hear people in my head less when my blood sugar is stable.

What about all of you? When does it happen most often to you?
"...In this world you WILL have trouble..." John 16:33 (emphasis added)

Chaocontrol6
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Chaocontrol6 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:12 am

I have heard things, not as such voices, but things more than anything else. Yesterday when I was getting extremely stressed out during my computer lessons I kept hearing this piano playing, only for 2 or 3 notes, repeated every few minutes. And I was asking everyone if they could hear it, they couldn't hear a thing. Everyone thought I was mad when I got to the point of "THERE IT WAS!! Did you hear that?!?!" and still it was just me.

I guess for me when I'm under a lot of stress I hear things I shouldn't, especially people seemingly calling my name when it was nothing...

Jason :grnstar:
Just let time tell the story, and act accordingly. (Phrase by myself)
H.A.L.T!!! (Genius!!)
These feelings too, shall pass. (BUS phrase?)
The power lives in me!(Place)

tanz
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by tanz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:39 pm

for me i hear some voices when i'm stressed.
usually i just hear some laugh or something else weird.
and when i'm having a panic attack ,if my eyes are closed,
i think that the room where i am at the time is full of people
and they're talking.
'cause total life forever will never be enough

http://arsonists.tumblr.com
http://formspring.me/kristandeli

searching_for_solace
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by searching_for_solace » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:36 pm

For me it got bad at one point. There was another girl in my head and I had involved conversations with her.

But she's gone now I kicked her out. Every time she said something like that I was a horrible person, I started saying no i'm not; I bought my friend lunch today because her dad doesn't care enough to give her money for it. Or i'd say, No you're lying i'm not going to listen to you anymore. I do not do everything wrong; I got a 98 on my science test and I suck at science!

Last night, though, I heard so so clearly my mom's voice calling me. So I got out of bed and ended up getting angry at her because she and everyone else swears she didn't say a thing.

And I then i wasn't low on blood sugar i had just eaten a balenced meal and felt fine.

But it definitly helps with the anxiety.

ultimate starshine
buskateer
buskateer

Post by ultimate starshine » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:29 pm

i have the voices too... i mihgt kinda keep an eye on when i get them and see if it is anything to do with blod sugar etc for me.....

:star:
Sprink is my wonderful gobby (goblin) daughter
I am 5th Sections mummy
RDS is my amazing sister
Elmoscaresme is my adorable niece
I am Eisa's Fairy

"The marks I make, The steps I take, Prove i still exist" ~ written by me."

"Never let the fear of striking out... stop you from playing the game" - A cinderella story

Place

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm glad that you have found a way to deal with the voices in the short term, but have to talked to your doctor or treatment team (if you have one) about them? Hearing voices can cause major disruption to your life and activities if left untreated.

I understand that for many, they want to "protect" their voices and that they don't want to tell anyone because of either that or because they do not want to be precieved as being "crazy" or "schizophrenic", believe that if they tell that they will be locked up, or because of stigma or other personal reasons.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

searching_for_solace
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by searching_for_solace » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Well for a while I was on medication -- antiphycotic-- but it made no difference what so ever with me hearing things so basicly the doctor took me off of it after saying that he "was unable to track it to any mental illness " and didn't want to try anything else cause it might not be compatable with the other meds I was taking.

Well after about eight months of medication, i'm getting off of my anti-depressiants and getting more depressed, but I don't want to stay on the medication it is bad for long term, and my parents didn't want me on it in the first place. I was getting very very jumpy. I'd scream when someone woke me up, or when the phone rang sometimes

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:00 am

See a different doctor. Seriously.

The couple of times I did hear voices I was in serious depression and a lot of stress or on drugs of some kind. A state of psychosis is unsafe for you and people around you.

It's best that a doc knows what's going on.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

poochie
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by poochie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:23 pm

I don't think my past experiences with hallucinations were caused by low blood sugar, but maybe definitely stress.

But low blood sugar does make my seizure threshold drop dramatically.
"I don't think anything is out of bounds in the sense that you shouldn't say it, but, for example, if you wanted to make a joke about concentration camps, you should think twice. At least twice." ~Stuart Hall

syn
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by syn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:58 pm

Voices are serious, and for me was the #1 trigger for me cutting. I had them occasionally growing up, and in my teens. When I was 19 I would start to hear radio static then the sound of a tuning dial, and then loud staticy commanding voices. While I had bouts of SI since age 8, it wasn't until the voices really started that my SI got really bad and regular, causing me several IP hospitalizations that year.

A lot of parents don't have a good understanding of mental illness and the best forms of treatment. They are not doctors. Also a lot of doctors have trouble treating teens because research is still being ton on teen mental illness.

However, it is so important that you get this treated, because voices have the potential to get worse. There are a lot of things that can cause voices, for me it is Bipolar Disorder. If you would like to PM or IM about this, please feel free.
~ Syn

with recognition we will grieve
that waking is the sorrow of ending dreams

expiation.org

searching_for_solace
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by searching_for_solace » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:48 am

I am getting things treated.

Apparently I have heavy metal toxidity and that may have been causing my halicinations? Higher than normal concentrations of mercury.

Cuppy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Cuppy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Last edited by Cuppy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patchesmany
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by patchesmany » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 pm

mmm There are different reasons to hear voices in your head. Things like depression, anxiety, to things like DID/MPD and schizophrenia.

To me (and i'm no expert) what you describes sounds like an auditory hallucination. I get them and it's different than a voice as a voice mostly comments on what I do, or me whereas a hallucination is often an animal noise, or not related to what I am doing.

Patches

Cuppy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Cuppy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 pm

Last edited by Cuppy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuppy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Cuppy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Last edited by Cuppy on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

searching_for_solace
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by searching_for_solace » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:57 am

I understand totally how you say it shakes you up. To me it happens about 2 or 3 times a month, though when Sarah comes around, she talks to me every day for months. I'm very scared she is going to come back.

My friend said why is it bothering you so much if it only happens like 3 times a month? I didn't have an answer, but I felt like why shouldn't it? Something is seriously wrong and I have a right to express that it distresses me. Don't I?

I'm not sure if there is a difference. I do know that some people who hear running water or background noises that aren't there, sometimes it is something wrong with their physical ear. But sentences in that person's voice? I think it's in your head.

I'm glad you can deal with it. I don't deal with it very well, I usually pretend it didn't happen and break down about a week later.

patchesmany
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by patchesmany » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:21 am

You have a right to feel however you feel.

Cuppy
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by Cuppy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 pm