Not coping, advice needed.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

The_Little_Kid
creating your space
creating your space

Not coping, advice needed.

Post by The_Little_Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 am

Umm, my support person is not here at the moment, and I'm having a really hard time coping with it. It's actually been really hard the last couple of days as there's been some gaps in communication, (not being near the internet etc) and I did a couple of stupid things which we worked out luckily. But now she's sleeping and even though I was doing ok earlier (like for a little while after she went to bed) I'm really not doing ok anymore. I don't know what to do about this, I've even panicked previous times when she wasn't available I'm not panicking at the moment, but I feel like I'm not far from it. Any help and advice and stuff would be really really appreciated.
Please don't touch or comfort me unless I explicitly ask for it.
Please don't attack me in any way.
Please don't tell me everything will be ok in the end, you've never seen the end and the people who have aren't here to share it with anybody.
Advice and or experiences always welcome.
Fun and weird randomness always welcome.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:02 am

could you come up with a list of coping techniques that you could use while your support person is not there? the next time you guys meet, try working out some kind fo plan for days when they are absent..
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

The_Little_Kid
creating your space
creating your space

Post by The_Little_Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 am

I don't know how, or what or anything. I tend to cut, but it's not enough or at least it doesn't help for a long enough time to be effective. I mean it does give me relief and a bit of breathing room, but the rest of the time I feel really bad.
Please don't tell me everything will be ok in the end, you've never seen the end and the people who have aren't here to share it with anybody.

volta
being the change
being the change

Post by volta » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:59 am

it's good that you realize it's not effective in the long run.
could you look at the scarily vast list of coping strategies? it mite be of some help.
List

The_Little_Kid
creating your space
creating your space

Post by The_Little_Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:36 am

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about that, I'll check it out thanks.

steady hands
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by steady hands » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:41 am

I hope you find something that helps. I know it sucks when you feel helpless, and can't really do anything about it. maybe you could try writing down what you're feeling? or watching a movie or something to try and distract you?

:grystar: gretchen.

lily_trying
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by lily_trying » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:39 am

the list of coping strategies can be very helpful (just reading & thinking through everything on the list is a distraction in itself i find!) -- the distracting & delaying ideas & the physical ideas have been particularly useful in my experience...

perhaps reading on things to do with panic/anxiety when not near one's safe person/safe place might also give some ideas? :star:

The_Little_Kid
creating your space
creating your space

Post by The_Little_Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@sidvicious Yeah it does suck, it sucks really badly. I'm not very good with writing, but I guess I could try it. We don't have movies (apart from on the weekends sometimes) and don't really have tv, but I'll see if I can come up with something else to do.

@lily_trying Yeah I actually should have worked a little more on being prepared, but this is actually the first time in a really long time that I've had anything I can classify as serious so I didn't think I'll need it, :oops: and as such completely forgot about the long list of coping strategies. Reading what on panic/anxiety? I have done some reading a while ago, but everything just pretty much say the same things.

WishIKnew
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by WishIKnew » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Maybe you could consider making a list of ways you’re going to apply whenever your support person isn’t available and put it up somewhere where you can get hold of it when you need it. And when you do experience difficulties you can write whatever you’re struggling with at a specific time down as well and try apply your list and whenever your support person becomes available you can work through it together?

:clover:

:redstar:I hate what I have become to escape what I hated being :redstar:

Crash and Burn

The_Little_Kid
creating your space
creating your space

Post by The_Little_Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Thanks Wish, I'll try that.