an inquiry *ed*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

breathing
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

an inquiry *ed*

Post by breathing » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but...

Does anyone suffer with the eating disorder <u>pica</u>?
I do.

It's very hard to find support with this eating disorder because many deny it even exists.
It makes me feel alone.

I don't even like to mention it in other blogs I have because it's such a rarity.

So, I would like to know, does anyone here actually have pica?
Do you know a place to find any information on it [besides the same generic 2-3 paragraphs I've seen across the web]?

Thanks for reading this :)

idork
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by idork » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:50 pm

ive heard of pica before, cant remember for the life of me what kind of ed it is... can you explain more about it? take care!
Everyone has a story.
This is mine in all of it's awkward-messy-geeky-bias-spastic-blunt-spontaneous-mad-authentic-aesthetics.
My Place//Tumblr

kittyfever
driving instructor
driving instructor

Post by kittyfever » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:48 pm

I believe it's when a person craves [and often eats] things that aren't food.

I believe you when you say it's rare because I've never come across anyone who's said they have it..I've only heard about it on TV. Sorry I don't have more helpful information to give...it seems like this would be the type of thing that's covered more thoroughly in books. And maybe IRL support groups.

I hope you find something that's helpful, but this site is very supportive..good luck searching. And try and stay safe :pinkheart::grnstar:

my clarity clouded
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by my clarity clouded » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Here's a link that seemed to have quite a bit of info.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities ... e_pica.asp
“Have patience to walk with short steps until you have wings to fly.”
— St. Francis de Sales

"Your focus determines your reality"

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path" ~Morpheus - The Matrix

"You are loved. Whether you ever feel like it or not, whether you ever accept it or not, whether you ever think you deserve it or not. It is a fact... you are loved." ~NobodyToYou~ BUS

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:26 am

I don't have pica, but I have had moments where I've eaten things like bits of cereal boxes or packaging because of not being "allowed" to eat the actual food inside (I'm bulimic-ish).

It does exist. Actually something like 20% of children have it. (you know, kids eat dirt and stuff).

I believe you. Have you been to a doctor? It's actually possible that the reason you do this is because your body is craving specific nutrients that you aren't getting. (sometimes pregnant women develop pica because they are missing vitamins and minerals).

A blood test would probably be a good idea, you don't have to tell the doc why (just say you haven't been well or something), but depending on what you're eating it might be an idea to seek professional help because some things when digested can have really bad consequences like tearing your stomach lining and such.

http://www.something-fishy.org/ is a really good general ED website. It has a bit on pica here.

http://www.anred.com/pica.html

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities ... e_pica.asp

Try not to be ashamed of anything here. People on this forum are usually pretty non-judgemental, and they will believe you if you need to talk about it.

:redstar: El

breathing
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by breathing » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 am

Thank you guys for the help :)