What do you see when you look in the mirror?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

my clarity clouded
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

What do you see when you look in the mirror?

Post by my clarity clouded » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:52 pm

I hope this is not something that has been covered recently.

I am having issues with what my mind perceives when I look in the mirror. I can't seem to find anything I like about myself, and that only adds to all the negative self talk that I do. Only makes me want to cause myself physical pain to lessen the emotional pain.

I hate everything I see when I look in the mirror. How can I change that?

Someone? Anyone?

yoursforever_me
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by yoursforever_me » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:02 pm

right, first off make a list of all the things you don't like about your appearence (if this means listing every part of your whole boy then so me it) with the one you hate the most at the bottem and hate the least at the top. work down the list and spend a few minutes each day finding something nice to say about X bodypart. so for example if your eyes are passable as ok and that's the top of the list spend the next however many days telling yourself you have nice eyecolour, shape, whatever. even if you don't believe it every day dedicate a few minutes to focusing on that part of your body and complimenting it. when you feel that you no longer need it on the lest of things you hate about your appearence cross it off and start on the next one until you love yourself!
♫then she closed her eyes found relief in His life and she put down her knives♫

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 pm

You'll find that you're not alone in that. I can't find anything I like about myself in the mirror, most days. What I try to do is change the things I can. Often, a new hair colour, or some "out there" makeup or a new outfit will make me feel good about myself. So I try to do that when I can.

The key, really, is to change your thinking. I am certain that you aren't as bad looking as you percieve yourself to be. Try to tell yourself 5 affirmations every morning. Look in the mirror, and instead of thinking, whatever "i'm ugly, my hair is yuck, I don't like my figure... " (negative thoughts), replace them with "This skirt looks good on me, I'm okay as I am, I'm beautiful because I'm me" (positive thoughts).

How you think about something will eventually change how you feel about it, if you stick with it long enough.

You might also want to check out this post in Sourcebook

:redstar:

my clarity clouded
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by my clarity clouded » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:51 pm

thank you both for your responses :)

thanks for the link.

I have trouble with the positive self talk... maybe that thread will help.

“Have patience to walk with short steps until you have wings to fly.”
— St. Francis de Sales

"Your focus determines your reality"

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path" ~Morpheus - The Matrix

"You are loved. Whether you ever feel like it or not, whether you ever accept it or not, whether you ever think you deserve it or not. It is a fact... you are loved." ~NobodyToYou~ BUS

xStarBright
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by xStarBright » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:33 pm

I feel really selfish for saying this, but I hardly ever have that problem. I usualy wink or blow a kiss at myself then walk away... :oops:

But I had that kind of problem for a year or so, and I guess I kind of grew out of it. If I didn't like what I saw, I found an angle that I liked or simply walked away.
don't worry if i'm not here - i come and go. :cowsleep:
place