Want to make a difference in the world? *possie*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:54 pm

what you're already doing is great! really making a difference! go you!

still working on the book... now on 11.000 words... i think i might actually be able to do this...
/May

:lblstar: Never underestimate the power of silence... :lblstar:
:lblstar: micro-chipped mental cyber twins taking over NewZealand... :lblstar:
:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

calypso
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by calypso » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:28 pm

I want to use music as an avenue for political/social/environmental activism.

Glockenspiel
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks, QLA

And...

Go you! :thup:

And...

Go pollos :thup:
I always enjoy myself, even when I'm crying -- Jen Johnson

My place

Flying Hippo
settling in
settling in

Post by Flying Hippo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:49 pm

I want to write books that will help people escape their own troubles.

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:29 pm

^^ YAY for you! i hope you do it!

:lblstar:
/May

:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

cinnamon_spider
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by cinnamon_spider » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:11 am

I want to be a psychologist when I am older so I can help people feel better about life. I have enough personal experience with feeling bad so I think I could help them more since I know where they're at. I would also want to do it for a low cost or free so everyone could be able to get the help they need.

StevieLynn
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by StevieLynn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:37 pm

I want to make a difference by being a foster parent. I was a foster child and I want to give that gift back to the world.

Love,
Stevie
In Which Something Oooh Occurred

And it felt like a winter machine that you go through and then you catch your breath and winter starts again, and everyone else was springbound. And when I chose to live, there was no joy, it's just a line I crossed. I wasn't worth the pain my death would cost, so I was not lost or found....But when you live in a world, well, it gets in to who you th ought you'd be. And now I laugh at how the world changed me. I think life chose me after all.
--Dar Williams

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:00 pm

^^ those are such good goals both of them !!

update on the book: it's now 12.000 words... the last 1.000 words were real hard to write, but i got it all out and it seems ok...

keep setting goals to make a difference!
:lblstar:
/May

searching_for_solace
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by searching_for_solace » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 pm

I want to make a difference by finishing my book and publishing it. It's an account of all i've gone though with my mental illness...whatever it is that I have, no one knows. And I hope that people who havn't gone though that sort of thing will begin to understand them, and hopefully it will change the stigma a bit.

Why add to people's problems by treating them worse for the very things they are trying to fix?
"...In this world you WILL have trouble..." John 16:33 (emphasis added)

ultimate starshine
buskateer
buskateer

Post by ultimate starshine » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:46 pm

i want go to law school, and then sometime, when i have enough money to do it, i wanna do pro bono work for people who cant afford to pay for lawyers... meh... its not much, but its what i wanna do :)
Sprink is my wonderful gobby (goblin) daughter
I am 5th Sections mummy
RDS is my amazing sister
Elmoscaresme is my adorable niece
I am Eisa's Fairy

"The marks I make, The steps I take, Prove i still exist" ~ written by me."

"Never let the fear of striking out... stop you from playing the game" - A cinderella story

Place

Holi
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Holi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:52 pm

For a long time I wanted to be an A&E doctor or some sort of doctor. The Tsunami really kicked that off again, and I desperately wanted to help the people there anyway I could.
I want to go to the third-world, probably Africa (lived there and loved it) and give even the most basic medical service and advice to people, so I can help SOME people in this world, even if there are still billions left to help, I can do a little.

Recently though, I've had ideas of either being a Psychologist or someone bringing awareness to people about various mental illnesses, because they are so misunderstood. And if I'm over SI by then, then bringing awareness to SI as well :)

Either one would do :)

Roxi
knows the ropes
knows the ropes

Post by Roxi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm not sure long term how I want to change the world, gosh - I find thinking too far ahead a little stressfull in the state I'm in at the moment...

But currently I'm trying to make a difference , just in small, little ways - even though I'm only 16:

I tutor children from dissadvantaged schools twice a week becaucse, as I live in a thrid world country, a lot of peolpe are not as privledged as I am and I am so gratefull that I go to a private school and have good, qualified teachers and have +- 25 students in my class, whereas in some schools there are 60 children per class.

I'm not interested in becoming a teacher, but it's sort of my way of giving back and sharing my knowledge with others who don't have the same opportunities which I do due to soico-economic factors.

We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving… We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins… We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything." - Courtney Martin.

rememberthatiloveyou
growing roots
growing roots

Post by rememberthatiloveyou » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:26 am

i want to love people

"we're called to hold our hands against the wounds of a broken world to stop the bleeding" -Don Miller
We can not do great things, only small things with great love. It is not how much you do but how much love you put into doing it. -Mother Teresa

i'm at my summer job as a camp counselor, if it takes me a while to answer, its not because i'm ignoring you...just don't get on a computer much.

last SI 4-13-08

<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=123817">my place</a>

porcelain
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by porcelain » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 am

I really would like to adopt a child when I'm older, especially one who's a bit older like 10-15, because it seems they don't get adopted quite as much as younger ones do. I hope I can make a difference in his/her life and give them a chance to be healthy, whole, and well.

I also used to volunteer at a hospital once a week after school, although sadly I've been having to take a break from it due to too much crazy stuff going on in my life. It always made me feel good that I could help people, and would do special little things to brighten people's day, like refilling water pitchers for people or talking to people during their stay. So hopefully I can do that again eventually.
:blkstar: "I know what it feels like, giving into something you don't understand." :blkstar:
:blkstar: I am starting over. :blkstar:
---------
Imperfect Tense - My Place
PMs and hugs make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.