Want to make a difference in the world? *possie*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:04 am

I want to open up my own coffee shop :D Sounds like a lame goal, but whatever...

I also want to do something with animal rights/cruelty.

I want to be a foster mum for teenage girls with coping / serious problems.

I want... I want to protest... I want to be one of those people who stands up... Who scream to be heard amongst thousands of others who feel the same vision... Who hold up signs displaying what nobody really cares about but should... I want... I want to help.

handmade mute
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by handmade mute » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:12 am

Owning a coffee shop isn't a lame goal! So long as it's open before my (waaay in the future) goal of a world tour, I'd come get some coffee!

All your goals sound really great, I hope they come true for you.

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:18 am

Oh, I'm backpacking around the world and whatnot once I'm 21. Soo... Might not open for a decade or so xDD

Well, it's the only occupation I would really enjoy when I'm an adult.

Porcelain_Doll
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Porcelain_Doll » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:54 am

pelagic wrote: I want... I want to protest... I want to be one of those people who stands up... Who scream to be heard amongst thousands of others who feel the same vision... Who hold up signs displaying what nobody really cares about but should... I want... I want to help.
My friends and I are planning on protesting at when the Ringling Bros circus comes near us. I've always wanted to do somehting like this and now I might get the chance!
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.
-Edgar Allan Poe
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=110034

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:56 am

Oh, that would be very important to do. I absolutely hate the way circusses treat their animals *shudder*

Good luck, I hope everything goes all right! Don't turn into a violent riot. xDD

Waiting4Serenity
one of us
one of us

Post by Waiting4Serenity » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:24 am

I want to be a social worker and work in the chemical dependence field. I have a problem with alcohol and pills myself, and feel this is where my heart wants me to go.

~waiting4serenity

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:26 am

Being a social worker sounds like an amazing goal.

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:31 am

yay!! you people are great i hope you can all achieve your goals... keep them coming!
:lblstar:
/May

:lblstar: Never underestimate the power of silence... :lblstar:
:lblstar: micro-chipped mental cyber twins taking over NewZealand... :lblstar:
:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:48 am

*shyly*

My husband and I are applying to be foster carers. I'm worried my previous SI will stop them from accepting us though.

We have to attend four training sessions before we can apply (to get a feel for it). They mentioned self-harm in children that we might care for. I asked the guy afterwards if there was some way I could help them collate information on SI and help with an insiders point of view. He's calling me next week.

I want to talk at conferences and universities to doctors about how their reactions to us in the ER affect us, and how they can help us more productively.

I want to talk to parents about what to look for and how to help their children with SI.

I want to dispel the misinformation and prejudice against SI.
<center>:purpheart: :blueheart: :purpstar: :bluestar: There is a solution to EVERY problem...:bluestar: :purpstar: :blueheart: :purpheart:</center>

pelagic
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by pelagic » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Kasie, that is amazing! I've never really wanted children, but I really want to be a foster mum when I'm older. I know that it would be difficult, but even if I manage to make just one teenager live a better life, I've lived a good life.

My aunt was recently adopted into our family. Before, my nannie fostered her. My nannie has fostered many many children, and only one has stayed within the family (but quite a few still talk to my nannie). She was abused by her biological mother, and she's such an amazing mother to her two children... If my nannie hadn't fostered her, she would've ended up very differently. Kasie, I'm so glad that more people want to be good foster parents.

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:30 pm

*blush* Thanks :blush:
<center>:purpheart: :blueheart: :purpstar: :bluestar: There is a solution to EVERY problem...:bluestar: :purpstar: :blueheart: :purpheart:</center>

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:20 pm

wow Kasie, i'm amazed, this is such a great goal, i really really hope you get to do all that... !

Last edited by Quiet little Angel on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/May

:lblstar: ever reached out for someones hand only to find it wasn't there? :lblstar:
My place of happy-scared-random-thoughts dealing with motherhood and anxiety, visitors welcome

Kasie
sprouting branches
sprouting branches

Post by Kasie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Looks like I'm on my way... I called that guy and I've got a meeting with him Thursday. He's talking about us just having a chat for now (which is all I was expecting) and then after we've been approved as foster carers, for me to talk at training sessions etc. So I've been reading up as much as I can.

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:41 pm

that's sooo cool! inspiration, right there!! :D
/May

soulonfire928
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by soulonfire928 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:39 pm

this may be a ridiculously lofty goal, but...i want to be part of helping to eliminate debt in places like Africa and help the kids there get a chance at an education and help people have clean food and water...which hopefully, by belonging to one.org, I'm actually being proactive about it (writing letters to congressmen and donate money and whatnot)

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:53 pm

no goal is too lofty, you can never aim too high!! i think it's a great goal... have you thought about volunteering for africa? i've had friends do that and they really felt like they made a difference afterwards... and it's great that you're already working on your goal!
/May

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:55 pm

oh and i thought i should let you know that i'm working on my goal now too... i've started writing what will hopefully turn out to be a book... about my life and what it's like to live with neglect, anxiety, SI and stuff... sortof a guide for those who don't really know what it feels like... so that's a start... right?

keep the goals coming!
/May

Rae Rae Badfingers
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by Rae Rae Badfingers » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:54 am

I realize how much playing guitar helps me out when I am stressed or freaking out, so I would love to teach kids how to play guitar. Or maybe go to school for music therapy or something? Anything with music involving kids just makes sense in my head.
<center>See you dance away
all this bitter pain
See you move in ways
beyond our days
In devotion I linger
And with drained veins
I falter again

Some deranged and some devour to haunt me down in my darkest hour</center>

Quiet little Angel
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Quiet little Angel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:43 am

that's a great goal, i know my piano-teacher and song-instructors both ment a lot to me! go for it!
/May

Glockenspiel
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm on the PR Committee for DC Habitat for Humanity. We're helping people own their own homes. There's lots of other things I'd like to do, but time is fairly scarce.
I always enjoy myself, even when I'm crying -- Jen Johnson

My place