Does anyone have any advice? I'm worried.

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

gravitys-rainbow
one of us
one of us

Does anyone have any advice? I'm worried.

Post by gravitys-rainbow » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:59 pm

Well. for ages and ages now i have noticed that one hip sticks out more than the other. wait, before you dismiss this thinking "oh just some teenage problem"

my aunty, when she was a teenager had back problems. one hip stuck out more than the other. it turned out her spine was growing in the wrong direction and she had to have a back brace for ages.

my mum keeps saying "hannah is one hip sticking out more than the other? because if it is we need to go to the doctors, because that's what your aunty janet had"

i just keep saying "no it isn't"

but it is.

and i'm absolutely worried. i can't tell her that one hip IS sticking out more because a back brace would actually be equal to the end of my life.

I don't know what to doooooo :(

does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

also. there's a girl at school who has a back brace. she used to be really happy and sporty. then she spent ages in hospital and in a wheelchair, then she came back looking really thin and upset and SHE HAS A BACK BRACE

:( what do i doooooooo?

hannah x x x x
This is the price you pay for loss of control

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 pm

If it has the potential to be a problem, when why don't you tell your mom and let it get checked out? It couldn't hurt. And a back brace isn't necessarily the worst thing that could happen to you. My friend had to wear a brace for awhile due to scoliosis and you could barely tell it was there. I don't think back braces are always permanent anyways.
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!

gravitys-rainbow
one of us
one of us

Post by gravitys-rainbow » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:10 pm

thankyou for your reply.

i really hope i don't need a back brace but if the worst comes to the worst i suppose it's good it's only temporary. but if i need it for ages.

i'm self conscious as it is!

i'm so worried.

i never tell my mum anything i don't know how to tell her D:

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Yeah, I know how attention-grabbing a back brace can seem. But if people stare, just give em a really dirty look :P

I'm not sure how you'd go about telling her, though. Maybe, "hey mom look at my hip, what is it doing?" or something. or "does my hip look crooked?" *shrug* Hope it goes well
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!

gravitys-rainbow
one of us
one of us

Post by gravitys-rainbow » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:22 pm

wow, thankyou. i think i will now.

eeek scared scared scared!

i think i'll tell her another day. not today.

hmm

Thankyou so much! <3

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:00 pm

one of my cousins had a back brace... hers was temporary, too.
as was already said... I think it's more common now to have one temporarily... to Prevent things from becoming permanent...

Porcelain_Doll
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Porcelain_Doll » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:39 pm

I'd tell your mom. My friend wears a back brace, but now she only has to wear it at night. She has scoliosis. I also know another girl who wore one all the time, and it actually really wasn't that noticable. Good luck.
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.
-Edgar Allan Poe
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=110034

Never Again
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by Never Again » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:23 am

things are different now than when your aunt was growing up. like Porcelain_Doll said some people only have to wear braces at night, or other problem might be solved in a totally different ways with today's medicine (like physical therapy) than your aunt's problem was. you never know, unless a doctor checks you out, you may find out there's nothing wrong!

you can do this, it's for the best. have things checked out now to prevent a lifelong problem, and put an end to a lot of not knowing...

hope all goes well for you!

:bfly:
I have love. I have love but I don't know where to put it.

whatever
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by whatever » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 am

i have (mild) scoliosis (and had it when i was growing up) - i had to have x-rays and be checked every year, but apart from that i never had any treatment or problems with it.

(i do have problems with my back now that i'm older, but stretching and massage help a lot. and i stayed sporty all through high school, judo, inline hockey, coaching and doing gymnastics, cross-country, etc.)

gravitys-rainbow
one of us
one of us

Post by gravitys-rainbow » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:33 pm

thankyou so much everyone for your replies!

i am feeling a lot better about it now, but i still haven't talked to my mum.

I know i should but i'll see how it goes on.

Thankyou everyone!

<3 <3