my mom (much ranting)-- confused

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

shizzam
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

my mom (much ranting)-- confused

Post by shizzam » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 pm

ok heres the basic pre-story with my mom:.. i lived with her for since i was about 3. i saw my dad every second weekend and talked to him for 15 minutes every week night. i couldnt stand her. we couldnt go 10 minutes without a screaming, often violent, always irrational argument. she was basically just a jerk __(well now my therapist thinks she might have a cognitive dysfunction)__ [for example.. when i was 3, i was allowed to talk to my dad for 20 minutes (i think) every night. then, suddenly, she decided that she didnt want me talking to him at all, so my parents went to court. the judge decided on the 15 minutes thing. in all the years since then, at any given time, she could have let me talk to him more. but she never did.] just last year i moved in with my dad. i couldnt take her any more. long story short, she followed me, i refused to see her, she begged, nobody understood, i got sent to therapy, i finally gave in, i saw her about 3 times, we fought, i refused to see her again, a year long separation was decided by therapist and father. but now she really wont leave me alone. she sends me gifts and stuff.. and i know theyre completely superficial but i still feel really insanely bad.. this must suck lightsabers for her. i try not to feel guilty because i know ill just get sucked into all that shit all over again, but i mean shes my mom. im just really confused. everytime i see her it brings back all the bad memories and pain, but as bad as a mother as she was i dont know if i can do this to her, as a person. and everytime she sends me a gift i just feel like SHIT. i know shes just trying to get me back but still.. i just dont know what to think anymore..

~shizz
:grnstar: Proud member of NOB WHEATS ..::Not Old But We Hate Every and All Text Speak::..:grnstar:
:purpstar:&&&&& Member of SHACA &&&&&:purpstar:
:blkstar:*Back in Black*:blkstar:
:redstar: Member of The Zombie Army :redstar:
:ylwstar: "Brothers should pull up their pants." -Barack Obama :ylwstar:
:bluestar: Hugs & PMs are Welcome & Appreciated :bluestar:

black water lily
one of us
one of us

Post by black water lily » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:09 am

Sounds like you really could do with some space from your mum (even if its just for awhile). I get along with my mum almost as well. One time I apoligised for not wanting to see her again, 'cause of the guilt (huge mistake, meant several more years of the same misery). Anyway, isn't it a natural thing for any daughter to want to spread their wings?

But you know what is best for you in your situation, don't let the guilt trips that have been placed on you, stop you from making the decision thats right for you. (Is it possible that the guilt lies with your mum and not with you).

Cellardoor
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

Post by Cellardoor » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:23 pm

im not feeling v useful, but i read anyways.
:)

I built my house,
Where the ocean meets the land,
It's time to live again,
And pull my dreams out of the sand.

(take the pieces and build them skywards)
(expressions)

FOUR YEARS HAPPY AND FREE!

Rakshasa
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Your mom

Post by Rakshasa » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:55 am

Don't let her guilt-trip you -- her gifts will not make up for the pain she has caused you. Do what you think is best and healthiest FOR YOU.

shizzam
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by shizzam » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:57 am

its just so hard.. sometimes it just really really seems like she cares..

~shizz
:grnstar: Proud member of NOB WHEATS ..::Not Old But We Hate Every and All Text Speak::..:grnstar:
:purpstar:&&&&& Member of SHACA &&&&&:purpstar:
:blkstar:*Back in Black*:blkstar:
:redstar: Member of The Zombie Army :redstar:
:ylwstar: "Brothers should pull up their pants." -Barack Obama :ylwstar:
:bluestar: Hugs & PMs are Welcome & Appreciated :bluestar:

Poppies
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Poppies » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:45 am

With parenting, as with pretty well everything, there is no "black and white" - there are no absolutes. Whilst your mother's actions were damaging to you, this doesn't mean that she didn't (and doesn't) love you. Whilst her mothering-skills appear to have been very flawed, this doesn't mean that she 'hated' you, or didn't love you... What she did is her responsibility, not yours, but what she did doesn't mean that she didn't love you - even though she didn't show this love adequately! My guess is that she does care... she doesn't know how to show it... and she's done some things in the past that have hurt you. You are not responsible for your Mum... you have every right to choose not to see her... you also have every right to choose to see her... you have every right to take steps to work out what's right for you in this...

I know how difficult that is, believe me...

Could you sit down with, say, your Dad, and work out between you what might be a good way of starting to have a little more contact with your Mum? It could be that you agree to communicate with your Mum by email for a while..... Or that you agree to talk to her on the phone at a certain time each week (that time specified by yourself)... Maybe, as time goes on, you could consider meeting with her - but with someone else there to make sure that nothing gets out of hand.

Your mum's actions have hurt you, and you have absolutely every right to want to protect yourself... but there are ways to have contact with your Mum, without putting yourself back in a vulnerable position again. You could explain to your Mum (by letter if you don't feel able to speak this out) that her actions in the past have hurt you, and that you want to take things slowly and steadily with her, now. You could explain that how you're feeling and behaving is a consequence of her actions... she needs to understand this. She might not like it, but it's a fact - the consequence of what she did, is the situation that you're in now... you have every right to want to protect yourself.

You have every right to do this on your own terms... and if it doesn't work, to withdraw again.

These are just suggestions... I hope they help! :)