Lexapro?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

aschillaci
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Lexapro?

Post by aschillaci » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:39 am

Hi all! I'm new here and just have a quick question. I started seeing a new therapist today and she wants to put me on Lexapro to help with cutting and anxiety. I've never been on any meds like this before so I was just wondering if anyone's had positive or negative experiences with it?? Thanks! :-)

NobodyToYou
board admin emeritus
board admin emeritus

Post by NobodyToYou » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:05 am

Lexapro is my friend.
While it doesn't solve the problems, it helped me a lot in staying productive while I was depressed...I doubt I would have finished my last degree without it.
I had a few side effects for the first couple days, but really nothing after that. It tends to work fairly quickly, so you should be able to tell within a few weeks if it is helping or not...I think it can take up to 3 or 4 weeks for full effect though.
I know it doesn't work for everyone, but for me, Lexapro has been quite helpful.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi there! :moo:

Welcome to BUS and to coping (the welcome cow is a tradition) :wink:

I was on lexapro for several months and it didn't help me. But then I've tried many anti depressants and nothing has worked yet.

Don't be discouraged, make sure you take it every day and try to monitor your moods.

I've heard that it does wonders for anxiety.

If you want to know more, search for it on http://www.crazymeds.org.

Also make sure you check out our main "Bodies Under Siege" board, where you'll get a proper welcome with many many more cows :)

Feel free to pm (private message) me about anything :redstar:

:) El
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

pinky
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by pinky » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:27 pm

hi and welcome to bus...

:moove:

i was just put on lexapro on monday...so far it seems to be helping a little... :)
welcome wagon member - member of OATS - oldies against text speak
you will always be remembered and missed
:pinkheart: 7.12.08 Carmen :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 1.16.11 Kalika :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 11.3.11 Yorkie :pinkheart:
:pinkheart: 4.20.12 Dewkey :pinkheart:
the time to tell someone you care is now
:bcatsmile: SHACA :bcatsmile:

silver_smurf
creating your space
creating your space

Post by silver_smurf » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:36 pm

Welcome to BUS :cowsleep:
I tried lexapro for a little while and it made me really tired during the day. It was so bad that I actually felt worse while taking it. But I know different meds for different people, right? I hope it works for you.

krb87
growing roots
growing roots

Post by krb87 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:13 am

i've just been put on lexapro today
my dr said if youre taking it in the morning it can often make you sleepy during the day, so you should, in that case, take it at night.
belated thanks for this thread, it's been good to look at tonight
:star:
::star:: :) Kylie :) ::star::

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 am

Just a note to say that Lexapro actually stopped me from sleeping. So yes, different people = different side effects.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

krb87
growing roots
growing roots

Post by krb87 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:17 pm

yeah and ive also just read that sometimes it switches back and forth for the first week or so and fluctuates from lots of sleep to no sleep. it's so weird (but interesting, fascinating even) to know everything effects people so differently eh

labbaw
building community
building community

Post by labbaw » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:55 pm

I've been on Lexapro for a year now and it's helped me so much. I've actually stayed out of the hospital for a significant period of time (quite a feat for me)...I don't know that it's actually helped with cutting urges though. Maybe...I do cut less. I haven't cut in 3 months. But that could be due to other things too. As for the sleep aspect...again it's different for different people cause I actually take it in the morning.
There is a reason for everything.
Hugs welcome
SI-free since Sept 3 2008

This Side of Nowhere

krb87
growing roots
growing roots

Post by krb87 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 am

well i didnt sleep at all last night, or today when i tried to nap because i was so tired. the thing is i don't think it would have set in yet given it was the first time (took it at 8, got into bed at 11) so i think it was just me subconsciously thinking about it? unless it does set in that quickly..

will try again tonight and just chillax, and if i feel the same again will try it in the morning.

Beasty
troll sniper
troll sniper

Post by Beasty » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Lexapro works very well for me except that it makes it so that I cannot orgasm at all. Whopee...
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There’s always a boom tomorrow. What? Look, somebody’s got to have some damn perspective around here. Boom, sooner or later. BOOM!" - Susan Ivanova

Eisa = Beasty's Twin

Beasty's Place!