how do you cope with memories/flashbacks/bad dreams

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Weetzie Bat
post laureate
post laureate

how do you cope with memories/flashbacks/bad dreams

Post by Weetzie Bat » Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 pm

I seriously need some input here. I'm really struggling at the moment with all three of those things and I dont know how to cope. I've never really talked about this stuff until recently and its just making everything worse.

so how do you cope with bad memories/dreams/flashbacks?

:purpstar:
:purpstar: :pinkstar: :lblstar:

Silent_Tears
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

Post by Silent_Tears » Thu May 17, 2007 3:36 am

listening to music, trying to change the "outcome" of the dream if i notice i'm in one (become very powerful, fight back, win), if i wake up or am awake i try to orient myself and tell myself that i am not in that place anymore- and i survived. having index cards written with statements i need to remind myself helps with this. talking to a friend sometimes about something totally unrelated... mostly to distance myself away from the memories.

hope some of that helps. i'm sure if you did a search on flashbacks you would come with a lot more, better responses from what other people have written over time.

peace to you,
st
Silent's Poetry Spot

My Place- Everyone Welcome

My PBH

Fighting everyday to stay SI free. 8 years and counting. It does get easier. I just wish the thoughts would go away completely.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu May 17, 2007 4:30 am

Bad memories I try distracting myself with an activity of some sort that'll keep my brain occupied. It can be playing a game, going out for a drive, watching a DVD - whatever I feel like doing.

Bad dreams...flashbacks, don't have an answer for that one, yet. It's just something I grit my teeth and bear.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Weetzie Bat
post laureate
post laureate

Post by Weetzie Bat » Thu May 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I've tried using music sometimes, like blasting it in my headphones so it drowns out everything. I just have to be careful what music i choose because theres alot of stuff that triggers me.

the problem with talking to people is the only people I have to talk to are always at work when I'm home alone, so I cant really contact them to talk. I can text my boyfriend but it doesnt really help.

I'll go have a search for "flashbacks"

thanks both :purpstar:

22kate84
one of us
one of us

Post by 22kate84 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:59 pm

music and distractions are all well and good but they wont deal with the undrerlying problems. U cant chance memories but you can change how you feel about/ percieve them. Do you see a councellor? Councellors can help you with this through role play etc and some councellors are specially trained to deal with dreams and memories. Flashbacks are another matter tho, if you find that your experiencing flashbacks to the extent that they are effecting your everyday life then you need to go see your Doctor and get refered for a mental health assessment. If your looking for a simpler answer, i find dream catchers work!

Weetzie Bat
post laureate
post laureate

Post by Weetzie Bat » Sat May 26, 2007 7:35 pm

I see a therapist but have only just recently mentioned all of this. Nothing she's said or done so far has been particularly helpul, I guess I should just outright ask her how to cope with this stuff and then maybe we'll get a chance to work on it.

I also see my psychiatrist in just over a month, so I'll talk to them about the dreams and flashbacks and see what they say. I'm due a medication review so maybe a change will help some. I'll probably take my CPN for backup (although I've yet to tell her about all this as well, I've never really talked about it)

thanks.

amber_lynne10
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by amber_lynne10 » Mon May 28, 2007 7:03 pm

To cope... i talk to friends that actually know whats wrong, talk to my moms room-mate, shes fun to joke with, play with my dogs, watch tv, or just get out of the house.

Just find anything that can keep your mind off things. go to sleep if you have to or just lay down and close your eyes. my moms really big on meditating. my moms room-mate has a Damnit Doll. its pretty cool.

Take care. and we are here for you.

:bluestar:
Damaged People Are Dangerous... Because They Know They Can Survive.

I Want To Learn How To Take Pictures. The Kind You Take With A Camera Not The Kind My Head Takes. My Head Uses Real Expensive Film And The Pictures Are A Real Bitch To Develop.
:grystar: Last SI:June 3. :grystar:
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... 69#2622269 <<<My Place

Visit my egg please(: