rules for helping

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

rules for helping

Post by strmdncr » Tue May 15, 2007 2:08 am

I used to have a sheet that had something about ten rules for helping or something like that. The last line was along the lines of ....I knew enough to ask for help, didn't I? The problem is I can't find this paper and I don't know what it's called and googling it isn't helping at all. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Last edited by strmdncr on Tue May 15, 2007 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Tue May 15, 2007 2:40 am

I think I know what you're talking about.

Something in family/ friends perhaps?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

strmdncr
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by strmdncr » Tue May 15, 2007 5:12 am

Many thanks to Silent_Tears who managed to find it for me using a different search engine than any I had heard of. I figured I'd paste it here for anyone who is reading.

If you are going to help me...
Please be patient while I decide if I can trust you.
Let me tell you my story. The whole story. In my own way.
Please accept that whatever I may have done, whatever I may do is the best I have to offer and seemed right at the time.
I am not 'a' person. I am THIS person, unique and special.
Don't judge me as right or wrong, bad or good. I am what I am and that is all I have got.
Don't assume that your knowledge about me is more accurate than mine. You only know what I have told you. That's only part of me.
Don't ever think that you know what I should do - you don't. I may be confused, but I am still the expert about me.
Don't place me in a position of living up to your expectations. I have enough trouble with mine.
Please hear my feelings, not just my words - accept all of them. If you can't, how can I?
Don't save me. I can do it myself. I knew enough to ask for your help, didn't I? Help me to better myself
A friend is someone who believes in you even when you've ceased to believe in yourself. (unknown)

strmdncr's sanctuary
strmdncr speaks