views on drugs and alcohol

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

disingenuouslad
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by disingenuouslad » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:40 pm

...or Narcotics Anonymous if you feel you aren't totally relating, both are good programs.

Porcelain_Doll
growing roots
growing roots

Post by Porcelain_Doll » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:38 pm

I'm too much of a control freak for drugs or alcohol, plus I don't like the smell of alcohol or pot. I also have an uncle who did drugs as a kid and his brain stopped developing when he was 13 because of it.
Never to suffer would never to have been blessed.
-Edgar Allan Poe
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=110034

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:18 am

i didnt mean to leave narcotics anonymous out, disingenuouslad. it has all the same traits as AA, but for people who do drugs. its a great program too.

porcelain doll, what a good reason for not starting to drink or use drugs! i admire you for your strength. :boingrin: :boingrin: best of luck to you guys.

anymore cutters who are alcoholics or addicts?

thanks for your candid responses.

cindy :lol: :lol:
deep dark thoughts make it hard to survive.
sometimes i bleed just to know im alive.

winky
one of us
one of us

Post by winky » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:33 pm

boy can I relate!!! I began doing cocaine, pot, alcohol and smoking cigs at the age of 15 and continued useing hard until I was 24 (July 19th, 1991) and admitted myself into rehab. I have gone to either AA or NA ever since and I am getting ready to celebrate 16 years of recovery. True miracle. However, when I was about 4 or 5 years clean I started si ing to deal with my feelings due to my sexual abuse and haven't been able to stop for very long at one time. I had about 8 months at a time and messed that up but doing it just once and now I can't stop for longer than 25 days at a time. Yes I truly believe that it is an addiction and I know that I substituted one for another and I have a hard time with it because of the fact that I have been able to stay clean and sober for so long but can't stop cutting and burning.

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:40 pm

boy thats great , i would love to have that much time! ive got 4 months no drugs or alcohol. the cuttings been going on for the last 4 years, (this is how long ive been trying to quit drugs and alcohol too). it seems like when im doing good overcoming one addiction i fall off and cut. cutting to me hasnt seemed as bad as the mess ive gotten in with the other addictions, but then again ive started going deeper with my cuts. ive got 10 days of no cutting, want to take it to a year cut free. we can do it you know, we can use the same tools weve learned in AA and NA to keep us away from SIing, plus theres more in the coping section that i need to try. we could even try and do it together, you never know, we might help each other. PM me if you want. :lol:

thanks for responding,
cindy

stellagirl
one of us
one of us

Addiction related to SI?

Post by stellagirl » Sat May 12, 2007 8:36 am

I am about to reach my 6 month clean & sober date, afterrehab, outpatient and finally A.A. It has literally saved my life. However, at 3 months my mom passed away and cutting from pre-drinking days---20 years ago---came back. I had been numbing my feelings with alcohol, and now I don't know how to let myself have feelings, just like in my teens. My A.A. sponser and my therapist are trying to help. Do you think it's related? Like as a whole other addiction? Thanks for any help, I am only 30 hours SI free. :-?

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

alcohol and drugs

Post by 2crazy » Sun May 13, 2007 9:06 pm

hey stellagirl,

you have to start somewhere, and remember the A.A. motto "one day at a time". that takes alot of the pressure off you, just take it easy. i think quitting alcohol has so much to do with cutting, which in my opinion is a whole other addiction. i started my first rehab 4 years ago, and when i got clean thats when the cutting started. id never cut before in my life! i think its just another way to not deal with your emotions just like the drugs and alcohol were. i wish you all the best and if you want to write to me id love the support too. thanks again for responding. :wink:

TheRockingHorse
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by TheRockingHorse » Sun May 13, 2007 9:10 pm

i wish more people would think of cutting as an addiction, not just something that freaks do.........people are always like, "just dont do it anymore!" and its not that easy.....congrats to everyone who is working hard on all their addictions!
I said to the sun, tell me about the Big Bang
The sun said, 'It hurts to become.'

Andrea Gibson

My Place
A living room wall with awkwardly placed photographs hiding fist-shaped holes

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Mon May 14, 2007 4:03 am

hi bballfreak453,

many people dont think of cutting as an addiction, but these same people think drinking alcohol is a choice, not a disease, or an addiction. that you have control over whether to drink or not. there are things like cravings, having alcoholic genes,etc. i wish i didnt cut but to me its something i do instead of feel. i hate to feel. cindy

astepawayfromlife

Post by astepawayfromlife » Mon May 14, 2007 5:20 am

for me... it all goes hand in hand... luck is if i cant have one i will be able to have another... been in rehab twice over... na and aa drive me nuts and i know i do it all to silence my head... not ready to give up the one thing that has ALWAYS been there for me

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Mon May 14, 2007 4:32 pm

astepawayfromlife,

for me, the cutting is the best alternative. dont have another alcohol relapse in me, i'll end up dying, and i know that for a fact. so cutting is the only outlet for me, and i use it only when nothing else works. ei. journaling, running, etc. i just hope i dont go too deep, because my cuts are usually deep ones.

thanks for your input!

cindy

stellagirl
one of us
one of us

Post by stellagirl » Thu May 17, 2007 6:34 am

Thanks to all of you, I feel like I'm not alone again in my old, comfortable addiction. I had made it 5 days, but slipped last night. I really do want to quit SIing, because I'm afraidit will lead me to drink again, which WILL kill me. I'm goingto try the 12 step route, cross your fingers!

Stellagirl

"Slowly, slowly, we turn the page of life.
Growing, knowing--it comes at quite a price."

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Fri May 18, 2007 12:53 am

stellagirl-

the 12 step program has helped me tremendously. do you have a sponsor, someone who helps you work the steps? that would be a great thing. in my opinion cutting is an addiction that is intertwined with drugging, drinking, spending, sex, etc. you have to treat it individually and with your other addictions, because one can cause a relapse in the other. thats why programs such as AA or NA work so effectively. they have properties which speak to all kinds of addictions. hope you find what works for you! :D :D

cimdy

stellagirl
one of us
one of us

Post by stellagirl » Sat May 19, 2007 7:31 am

Thanks for your info and support. My sponsor for A.A. is doing her best to help me with cutting, |I wish I could find meetings for SI Anonymous or something like that, but A.A. is helping.
Stellagirl

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs or alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Sun May 20, 2007 5:50 am

stellagirl-

you know, ive tried for a long time to tell my sponsor when i feel like cutting, just dont think they understand what its all about. its like "just dont do it, pick up the phone and call someone". and talking to people who dont have this problem, to me, isnt very helpful. unless its someone like your therapist. besides all the tools we learn here, putting my feelings down on a thread, and talking to one of you in the forum has helped me the most. ive found i can be supportive to someone whos having a hard time, or i get the support i need from all of you. this is a great site. :heart:

hope everyone is doing well, if not talk to me so i can be useful.

cindy

riseagainst
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by riseagainst » Sun May 20, 2007 6:45 pm

they should make a section on bus for help with drug and alchohal and addictions that would be ausome ive been really strugleing with that lately

props on this thread though!!! 8)
~bewteen each smile theres a tear in your eye~

hugs are always ok

MY PLACE
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=112875
^i just started it and its really lonely haha comments are always welcome

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Tue May 22, 2007 5:32 am

hey riseagainst,

that would be great wouldnt it? have a forum on drugs and alcohol? may we could ask the moderator to check into that. im sorry youre having difficulties, i am too.send a thread if you want and we could talk.

stay sober!

cindy

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Re: drugs and alcohol

Post by Spidey » Tue May 22, 2007 3:59 pm

copingat47 wrote:hey riseagainst,

that would be great wouldnt it? have a forum on drugs and alcohol? may we could ask the moderator to check into that. im sorry youre having difficulties, i am too.send a thread if you want and we could talk.

stay sober!

cindy
your wish has been granted. i'll ask the staff what they think :)
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

2crazy
creating your space
creating your space

drugs and alcohol

Post by 2crazy » Tue May 22, 2007 5:29 pm

pink spider-

thats awesome! thanks for asking on our behalf. it seems like a worthwhile topic. i know i would use it. appreciate it tremendously. looking forward to a response.

thanks again!

cindy

:scatter:

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 pm

i have your answers :)

we can't make a seperate forum for it because technically it falls under the purview of the <a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=30">please be healthy</a> forum. you will have to ask to join the pbh usergroup, but nobody is denied - be sure to read all the rules for that forum when you have access, though, as it works a bit differently from the other forums.

also, some of the posts in neviah's <a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... 27">school planners thread</a> might be of some use, as some of the links deal with substance abuse issues.

hope this helps.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: