Coping with anger and depersonalisation. Help? *SI*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:46 pm

woohoo 'nother nsw'er :)

where does your anger come *from*? learn to recognise it. look at patterns. stop yourself. write out your thoughts. go outside and scream. etc etc. do you think you might benefit from anger management counselling or something?

with dissociation.. ive found a few things that ground me over the years. certain people i talk to, music, movies.. just sitting and recognising whats around me - smells, textures, colours. trying to stay *in* the moment.

i regret the words i've written most too. go look in sourcebook on stuff about scarring. i've found bio-oil (try googling it) to be the best thing ever for scars but it does take some time. if its healed, you can use concealer & keep it in play with hair spray..

SI is a coping mechanism. not a healthy one, but it is. in order to stop, you have to find new ones to put into place. do you have a therapist?

sorry im a little zonked out atm. i can come back to this later when im more coheratn.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:33 pm

what you might try are TIP skills. Temperature changes, intense exercise & progressive relaxation.
take a hot shower. fill a bucket with ice water & then hold your face (with water covering your temples) in it for 30 seconds. try running (even just running in place). check your library for progressive relaxation tapes.

learn about mindfulness.

mindfulness & progressive relaxation are things that require practice & can take awhile before you can tell any difference.

often unfortunately with counselors you do 'get what you pay for' you may want to check into other options. she may reallyreally want to help... if she does not have the skills or experience though she may not be able to help.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:55 am

if you get a referral from a gp...

medicare covers for a psychologist for a certain number of sessions.

the rebate for a psychiatrist is not much, but if you can find one that does bulk bill then it does cover that too.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

plantt
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by plantt » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:14 am

might be worth doing anyhow... isn't really like blood pressure or something where you can pretend it doesn't impact your life.. & sometimes it's worth really fighting for & going into debt for...
has been something i've really struggled with as well :)

"All I meant by that was that she hasn't been to university and studied psychology or medicine/psychiatry. I go to her mainly for my communication, self confidence and self esteem problems which she does have qualifications for and alot of experience in. "
--*nods* i didn't mean to imply that i thought she had no experience whatsoever... just that sometimes although someone may be extremely qualified in one area it might not be the area we need them to be qualified in.... maybe she could suggest someone who could help with the other issues & you could see both?