coping with anxiety

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

angelic212
bus mechanic
bus mechanic

coping with anxiety

Post by angelic212 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:47 pm

When Anxiety is Near:

General Statements

1. I’m going to be all right. My feelings are not always rational. I’m just going to relax, calm down, and everything will be all right.

2. Anxiety is not dangerous -- it’s just uncomfortable. I am fine; I’ll just continue with what I’m doing or find something more active to do.

3. Right now I have some feelings I don’t like. They are really just phantoms, however, because they are disappearing. I will be fine.

4. Right now I have feelings I don’t like. They will be over with soon and I’ll be fine. For now, I am going to focus on doing something else around me.

5. That picture (image) in my head is not a healthy or rational picture. Instead, I’m going to focus on something healthy like _________________________.

6. I’ve stopped my negative thoughts before and I’m going to do it again now. I am becoming better and better at deflecting these automatic negative thoughts (ANTs) and that makes me happy.

7. So I feel a little anxiety now, SO WHAT? It’s not like it’s the first time. I am going to take some nice deep breaths and keep on going. This will help me continue to get better."

Statements to use when

Preparing for a Stressful Situation

1. I’ve done this before so I know I can do it again.

2. When this is over, I’ll be glad that I did it.

3. The feeling I have about this trip doesn’t make much sense. This anxiety is like a mirage in the desert. I’ll just continue to "walk" forward until I pass right through it.

4. This may seem hard now, but it will become easier and easier over time.

5. I think I have more control over these thoughts and feelings than I once imagined. I am very gently going to turn away from my old feelings and move in a new, better direction.

Statements to use when

I feel overwhelmed

1. I can be anxious and still focus on the task at hand. As I focus on the task, my anxiety will go down.

2. Anxiety is a old habit pattern that my body responds to. I am going to calmly and nicely change this old habit. I feel a little bit of peace, despite my anxiety, and this peace is going to grow and grow. As my peace and security grow, then anxiety and panic will have to shrink.

3. At first, my anxiety was powerful and scary, but as time goes by it doesn’t have the hold on me that I once thought it had. I am moving forward gently and nicely all the time.

4. I don’t need to fight my feelings. I realize that these feelings won’t be allowed to stay around very much longer. I just accept my new feelings of peace, contentment, security, and confidence.

5. All these things that are happening to me seem overwhelming. But I’ve caught myself this time and I refuse to focus on these things. Instead, I’m going to talk slowly to myself, focus away from my problem, and continue with what I have to do. In this way, my anxiety will have to shrink away and disappear.

COPING THOUGHTS for ANXIETY

Purpose: to put a stop to the thoughts that lead to anxiety, and to replace those thoughts with realistic, rational thoughts. Then, when these self-statements are practiced and learned, your brain takes over automatically. This is a form of conditioning, meaning that your brain chemistry (neurotransmission) actually changes as a result of your new thinking habits.

First, use thought stoppage. Be gentle but firm about it. "STOP! These thoughts are not good for me. They are not healthy or helpful thoughts, and I have decided to move in a better direction and learn to think differently." (You are reminding and reinforcing your brain each and every time you make this rational and realistic statement.)

Then, pick two or three statements from the list below that seem to help you, and repeat them to yourself OUT LOUD each day. (You don’t have to believe them fully yet – that will happen later).

Develop a "tool bag" or as one of our patients called it a "bag o’ tools." For me, the tools were invaluable—I always prepared—packing a beverage, favorite audio tape, gum, favorite perfume. Tools keep you in the present and provide a measure of familiarity and comfort. I would play music loudly; singing and talking to myself also helped to center my thoughts on the here and now, not on my wild imaginings.

Once you have prepared with practice and your tool bag is set, it’s D Day (Do Day!). If you can, have a trusted person accompany you for your first drive over the bridge. Approach the now familiar bridge slowly, taking the most comfortable lane, which is usually the center. Do not rush. Keep focused on the car in front of you, no further. Remember that you will have levels, but you can function with them. Begin using your tools. Know that scary thoughts, such as driving the car off the bridge, are just thoughts, frightening but not reality. Use mental tools—counting forward or backward, spelling names, noticing license plates, anything that keeps you in the present. Do this several times until the bridge becomes an old friend! Continue to practice as often as possible. If you can’t cross the bridge every day, at least visualize yourself crossing, allowing the fearful feelings to come and learning to deal with them.

Recovery is possible only if you put in the time to practice—in the correct manner. Don’t what we call "white knuckle" your way over the bridge—slow down, plan the trip, use tools, accept that you will have fear levels for awhile, but you can control them

TOOLS TO HELP WITH ANXIETY & PANIC ATTACKS

10 Rules to Help During Panic

Remember, feelings of panic are just exaggerations of normal bodily stress reactions.

Sensations are neither harmful nor dangerous - just unpleasant. Nothing worse will happen.

Stop adding to the panic with frightening thoughts of where panic will lead.

Stay in the present. Be aware of what is happening to you rather than concern yourself with how much worse it might get.

Wait and give the fear time to pass.

Notice that when you stop adding to panic with frightening thoughts, the fear begins to fade.

Focus on coping with facing the fear rather than trying to avoid it or escape from it.

Look around you. Plan what you will do next as the panic subsides.

Think about the progress made so far, despite all the difficulties.

When you are ready to go on, do so in an easy, relaxed manner. There is no hurry.

TEN COMMANDMENTS TO REMEMBER DURING A PANIC ATTACK

1.) It does not matter if you feel frightened, bewildered, unreal or unsteady. THese feelings are nothing more than an exaggeration of the normal bodily reactions to stress.

2.) Just because you have these sensations does not mean you are very sick. These feelings are just unpleasent and frightening , not dangerous. Nothing worse will happen to you.

3.) Let your feelings come. They have been in charge of you, you have been pumping them up and making them acute. Stop pumping. Do not turn away from panic. WHen you feel the panic mount, take a deep breath and, as you breath out, let go. Keep trying. Stay there almost as if you were floating in space. Do not fight the feeling of panic. Accept it. You can do it.

4.) Try to make yourself as comfortable as possible without escaping. If you are in a street, lean against a post or store wall. If you are at the cosmetics dept. store find a quieter counter or corner. If you are in a boutique, tell the salesperson you do not feel well and want to sit for awhile. DO NOT jump into your car and go home in fear.

5.) Stop adding to your panic with frightening thoughts about what is happening and where it might lead. Do not indulge in self pity and think, "Why can't I be like all the other normal people? Why do I have to go through all this?" Just accept what is happening to you. If you do this,what you fear most will not happen.

6.)Think about what is really happening to your body at this moment. DO not think,"Something terrible is going to happen. I must get out." Repeat to yourself " I will not fall, faint, die or loose control."

7.)Now wait and give the fear time to pass. Do not run away. Others have found the strength. YOU WILL TOO. Notice that you stop adding the frightening thoughts to your panic, the fear starts to fade away by itself.

8.) This is your opportunity to practice. Think of it that way. Even if you feel isolated in space, one of these days you will not feel that way. Sometime soon, you will be able to go through the panic and say " I DID IT", Once you say this, you will have gone a long way towards conquering fear. Think about the progess you will have made. YOU ARE IN THE SITUATION!!!

9.) Try to distract yourself from what is going on inside you. Look at your surroundings. See the other people on the street , in the bus wherever you are. They are with you not against you.

10.) when the panic subsides, let your body go loose, take a deep breath, and go on with your day. Remember, each time you cope with panic, you reduce your fear.

( i found this on the internet some i have posted before but since there are alot of us that struggle with anxiety i think this is really helpful)

oneWayOneLifeOneLove
building community
building community

Post by oneWayOneLifeOneLove » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Wow thats really helpful Thanks for posting it. :D
surprises at ever stop sign
with its share of wrong ways and dead ends
statistice dnt help you with your future
they only tell u were youve been

Hugs are always welcome :D

wilson
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by wilson » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:40 am

wow thats really great information you put up...
thank you angelic
im sure a lot of people will find this information very useful