infected or stitches?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Jenn1234
one of us
one of us

infected or stitches?

Post by Jenn1234 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:30 am

I have cut myself and I was wondering how I can tell if it need stitches or it is infected? Thanks for any info you can give me.

-Jenn
I will never give up on you. My joy is your strength when a cloud of depression tries to discourage your soul. Your life has meaning and purpose, which I have created in you. When you trust in Me, I will give you strength to go forward. The rain of darkness will subside, and sunshine will fill your soul. Count on Me.

~Your Joy

friarygirl
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by friarygirl » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:54 am

How long ago did you hurt yourself? Infection takes a few hours to set in, but if any redness or pus or *anything* unusual is bothering you, it's a good idea to go to A&E, or your gp if you feel it can wait til the morning. If it's more recent and you're wondering about stitches...
Stitches
When do you need stitches? The criteria most doctors use:

* Cuts that will not stop bleeding;
* Cuts that are more than 1/4 inch long and on the hands, face, feet, or genitals;
* Cuts in the mouth that are more than 1/2 inch long;
* Cuts elsewhere on the body that are gaping (you can see tissue/fat).

If it's been more than 8-12 hours since the wound, most doctors won't stitch it. If you absolutely refuse to go to a doctor, at least get some Steri-Strips (or similar product; you can find them in pharmacies) to close the wound yourself. Wounds are stitched mainly to stop bleeding and to reduce scarring.

Take care of yourself - even if it's been a while since you cut, and you're still worried or not sure about infection, seek help. If you don't want to see your gp, pharmacists are trained to advise on treatments for infections etc - but for a definite diagnosis, or for sutures, you need a doctor.

Sarah
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable.
Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all...
Douglas Adams
Member of OATS -- Oldies Against Text Speak
:bfly: THE TIME TO TELL SOMEONE YOU CARE IS NOW :bfly:

Jenn1234
one of us
one of us

Thanks

Post by Jenn1234 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:46 pm

I think I am going to let it go, as long as I can. I can see tissue, but it only bleeds when I cut on it again. It is swollen and red, but if I go to my ER or GP they will send me to psych ward as they have done before. Thanks for writing me back and giving me info
I will never give up on you. My joy is your strength when a cloud of depression tries to discourage your soul. Your life has meaning and purpose, which I have created in you. When you trust in Me, I will give you strength to go forward. The rain of darkness will subside, and sunshine will fill your soul. Count on Me.

~Your Joy

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:31 am

It doesn't matter.

If you can see tissue, you need to get it looked at, ASAP.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:46 am

Hi Jenn,

I'm worried about how you're feeling if you've hurt yourself badly so much that you're worried about it, and yet you feel badly enough to continue to interfere with it healing.

Can you talk to us about how you're feeling?

With regards to the SI, you need to make a judgement based on how it looks according to the info friarygirl posted above. If you start feeling weak or running a fever I suggest going to ER immediately.

Ultimately they are going to do what is in your best interests and try to keep you safe.

Please take care of yourself :star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

blackdaisy
settling in
settling in

Post by blackdaisy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:36 am

It has been a couple of days by now, but here is my advice for what to do a couple of days post wound:
1. Put some neopsorin or stuff like that on it
2. Keep the wound covered until it is able to scab over, this will help prevent infection.
The main signs of infection are pus (anything that isn't blood coming from the wound) a fever, if the wound feels hot to the touch or red streaking near the wound..Don't mess with infection, if it looks infected please see a doc immediately.
How are you doing with all of this now emotionally? If there is anything I can do to help, please PM me... I've been in your position too many times and I know how hard it is.
Erin
Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. ~ Hannibal Lector

_MessedUp_
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by _MessedUp_ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:08 am

I agree, if you get the slighest hint of infection get it checked out, i had an infected cut and aside from being amazingly painful, it took a lot longer to heal. better safe than sorry.

take care of yourself

:star:
:star: "Life is like a beautiful melody only the lyrics are messed up" :star:
:blkstar: My Place:blkstar:
:redstar: <a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/_messedup_/'>My LiveJournal</a>:redstar:
my cow :moo:
:redstar: days SI free