Back-to-School Support

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh! What she said ^

I think I'm going to fail half my classes. If I get through this year I don't even know how I'm going to get through college next year. Or if I will. I just keep thinking that if/when I do go, I'm going to end up not getting all of the work that I need to do done, and either dropping out or getting chucked out.

And I suck at coursework which in a lot of cases counts for around 50% or so of my final exam result. So I guess I'm kinda screwed, unless I can sort myself out.

Bright Eyes
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Bright Eyes » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:42 am

WalkingStick wrote:does anyone have the OPPOSITE problem?

i'm in college, and I lose myself in studying so that I can avoid my thoughts for the time and focus on biology or chemistry or whatever it is i''m studying.
i get to the point where school becomes my obession and getting 4.0s is all i care about.

its' just something to take my mind off reality for awhile.

which i guess really ISN'T a problem, since I'm getting awesome grades, but I do tend to get overly stressed out about it.
I was like that somewhat last year, and in a way it was good - like you said, I got awesome grades. But I *did* stress more than I really had to, and that's not so good. It also resulted in my mood going really downhill at the end of the year when school stuff started letting up and I had more free time.
Maybe you could set aside at least an hour each day to relax - journal, listen to music, talk to friends, etc.? Or if you have a counselling center, maybe you could try going there, just so you have someone to talk to?

You *can* take a medical leave of absence from college - I hear it can be something of a hassle to get it all set, but I know some bussers have done it and found it really helpful.

powdahchica
growing roots
growing roots

Post by powdahchica » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:13 am

I wish anything would make the stress of school go away, i just want some peace...
<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=121893">Love must be as much a light as it is a flame.</a>
{My Place}

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:23 am

flipflopfetish--(((hugs))) I'm sorry it's so difficult. You can do this--but I know hearing that may not really help when it is so hard. Hang in there. I care :purpstar:

MusicalMorphine--(((hugs))) I'm sorry you feel that you're failing/screwed. I'm not in a position to say whether you are screwed, but try to keep in mind that in the long run, one semester is not everything. Your GPA is not everything. Even all of college is not "everything." There are so many options other than doing college in 4 years--doing it in more years, doing it over several years off and on (my mom did this--it worked quite well for her), dropping out...and no one way is better than any other. I'm afraid I can't tell you what you should or should not do, but whatever you do, take care of yourself, ok? :bluestar: {good vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}

powdahchica--(((hugs))) I know the feeling. Sometimes I just want to scream "STOP!!" and have the world actually freeze...anything to stop the constant flow of stress. I recommend making sure you have some time for yourself--even if it's just sitting down and reading for 20 minutes, it's good for you to get some time to rest, recuperate, and let your brain sort through everything that's going on. :pinkstar:
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

Scatterbrain
bus conductor
bus conductor

Post by Scatterbrain » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:29 am

I'm totally losing it... I'm depressed, tired, stressed, you name it... The good thing is that golf is over on Thursday, so I will have time to do homework, but I will also have to spend more time with my family... I will also really miss my golf coach. He has really been there for me this year. I was freaking out at the beginning of the season and basically told him all about SI etc. He has been the most supportive out of everyone. I love JM. I dont know what I am going to do without him checking up on my every week or so... I just hope I dont fall back into the pattern of SI. Right now I am barely surviving without SI. I was freaking out again today, but JM is a calming influence and he helped me calm down. I dont know what to say to him at the end of the season and I'm not good at "talking about feelings"... I hope it just comes out right and that I dont just start crying... I feel better after just word vomiting... Everything is still uber stressful. I have no idea what to write for my college application essays... Its retarded and now I'm starting to stress again. Why does senior year have to be so stressful??

~Megan
"The impossible just takes a little longer."
- HCJ (1/9/25- 2/26/08 )

"That there, that's not me/I go where I please/I walk through walls/I float down the Liffey
I'm not here/This isn't happening"
- "How to Disappear Completely" Radiohead

Place: Want to live and breathe/I want to be part of the human race
PBH: Back to the basics

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:44 am

well, the only helpful thing i have to say is that at least senior year is basically done after the first half. so in the spring you can just sit there and do nothing....

thanks jae :star:

gah. i lose. i'm getting the worst grades of my entire life x.X

Bright Eyes
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Bright Eyes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 pm

Advice for lack of motivation and difficulties concentrating: studying with people.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but lately I've been finding it helpful. When I'm alone, I find my mind wanders more and I'm tempted to do something else (or even to just sit there and do nothing.) When I go to the common area to do work with others, we often find a nice balance between talking/hanging out AND getting a little work done.

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:01 pm

Bright Eyes wrote:Advice for lack of motivation and difficulties concentrating: studying with people.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but lately I've been finding it helpful. When I'm alone, I find my mind wanders more and I'm tempted to do something else (or even to just sit there and do nothing.) When I go to the common area to do work with others, we often find a nice balance between talking/hanging out AND getting a little work done.
Honestly, I don't really have much advice for you, just know you're not alone. I have the same problem, I haven't done any work in the last week, and this is the most important year. Try to do work when you feel your best, that's all I can say. :star:

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:05 am

I'll be going back to school tomorrow. (Currently I'm on October hols)

I'm just so scared of going back, the idea terrifies me :o

I'm finding it so hard to cope with the work, I can't motivate myself at all, and my concentration is just completely absent. I've had so much homework to do, none of which I've been able to do ... I have tried, honestly, but I just can't think at all. I don't appear to have a brain.
I know it's my own fault that homework isn't done, eh, you don't need to tell me that, but I have no idea what I'm going to tell teachers tomorrow.
"Urr, miss, I didn't do my homework because I couldn't concentrate" :roll:

*Lang*

Aaaand, friends are going to be a struggle, they treat me like shit, make me feel like such an idiot ... but they're the only "friends" I have, so I put up with them ...

School's going to be hard, and I just thought I'd rant :tongue:

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Okay, why am I starting to freak out now? It's just school. It's fine.

Fuck I hate this

powdahchica
growing roots
growing roots

Post by powdahchica » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:49 pm

I know logically that if I don't do well this semester, even if I fail another class, it won't be the end of the world. I'll have done the best I can.

Why can't I make myself believe that?

Also, why does it seem like both of my roomates aren't working very hard and boasting about their 'easy a' classes, when I'm working my ass off for c's?...

Bah. I'm just in a bad mood.
<a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=121893">Love must be as much a light as it is a flame.</a>
{My Place}

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Exams. Eeeek

Lack of studying.

"Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WISH EVERYONE WOULD STOP SAYING THAT.

i'm doing my best.

bluefruitbowl
one of us
one of us

Post by bluefruitbowl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:14 am

First quarter grades are due tomorrow. I will see them with in the next 5 days. And then they are mailed home. I already know that I have messed up miserably. It is entirely my fault.

Skyeler
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Skyeler » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:10 am

I have no creativity left. Nothing I come up with makes my advisor think I'm working ahrd enough.

Instead of sketching the model in class, I sketched the window behind her.

I.Can't.Do.This.

I'm so anxious about not doing well that the thought of never going back is quite appealing.

Most of the time I feel like I don't belong.
But I got my new favorite record today.
My favorites change every single day.
Except you,
You'll always be number one.
[/center]

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:42 pm

I think I used up all of my "smart."

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 pm

I love school. I LOVE school. I love SCHOOL.

I can TOTALLY do this paper. Just write one paragraph then take a break.

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:35 pm

I must get off my ass and do this otherwise I'm going to fail. I've got so much to do for everything. I have to do it, why can't I just get up and do it?

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:58 pm

I'm doing well at college. I'm getting full marks on tests. In law I got an A for an essay, and in psychology i got a B on my end of unit exam: the highest in the class.
Things are geting so much better
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

balletomane
one of us
one of us

Post by balletomane » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:12 am

I have exams coming up in two weeks and EEEK. I am going to put in 20 minutes of studying tonight. That's a number I can manage.

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:36 am

balletomane - sounds good; I've always found that studying, like anything else, is best in manageable doses.

As I seem to have abandoned this thread for some time (sorry about that!), I thought I might update...my classes are going OK, getting good scores on quizzez and such...I turned in my first English essay last week and I am <b>so</b> nervous. I just need to remember that even if I get a bad grade on it, grades aren't everything, and one grade isn't the end of the world. *calming breaths*

Hope everyone is doing ok here.
:dkpurpstar: Jae
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar: