Back-to-School Support

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:27 pm

Jae has some really good ideas.

I used to have swimming in PE and obviously I never wear a swimsuit, so I came up with some really far fetched excuses like I'd had my period 2 weeks in a row, or whatnot.

Eventually I had to say I had a fear of large bodies of water :o

I think if you say you are self conscious from some childhood scarring & prefer to change in the toilets, that should be acceptable.

I hope it goes okay :star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:35 pm

yeah, i have the same sort of problem. i play soccer (although i'm planning on stopping after this season, it's getting way too difficult) and not only are the jerseys short-sleeved, but since i'm trying to eat less i'm having a hard time running especially in this heat without getting really really dizzy and having to stop. i'm also probably a little anemic. and i have no idea what i should do :-?

sorry i could not be more helpful pixie

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Do not quit your soccer.

You will likely end up more depressed, because exercising releases natural endorphins.

You need to prioritise & try to keep your SI to a minimum, or at least SI in places that aren't obvious whilst wearing your jersey.

If you're getting dizzy you need to eat more. I know it's hard, I know an ED can control your life, but you must remember that since you're doing soccer, your body will be burning up energy, and you need to give it something to work off. It can be low calorie, but you do need to eat something if you're planning on doing sport.

If you're anaemic you need to get a blood test & try to eat red meat or at least take iron supplements.

:star:
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

John Churton Collins

recovering4me
spiffy maximus
spiffy maximus

back 2 school anxiety

Post by recovering4me » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:36 am

i ve been having anxiey really bad lately not quite sure why but im trying to deal... started therapy again a few weeks ago. not sure how it will go. hopefully it works this time. :) any suggestions on dealing with teh anxiety would be appreiated.
Proud Member of NOB WHEATS
Not Old But We Hate Every and All Text Speak
Completely cut free since sometime in Aug, im not going back.
My Place
Sober since June 19
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
*grieving the loss of my little girl, Addie Leygh, RIP baby girl, mommy loves you*

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:16 am

Anxiety is stressful & frustrating & scary.

But no matter what, it cannot hurt you unless you let it stop you from doing the things that you want to do.

So keep pushing through it & as you learn that some things don't turn out the way that you expect they willl, the anxiety will hopefully dissipate.

John Churton Collins

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:26 am

licentia you are being so very helpful, thanks :star:

is everything going OK with you?

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:39 am

awww thankyou for asking :heart:

not too badly..

today's a bit hard & my ED is bad.. but i'm okay.

there's a couple of huge assignments I have GOT to get in in the next few days, but then I have a few research weeks off so I'm looking forward to doing things at my own pace for a while.

John Churton Collins

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:49 am

Licentia Poetica wrote:you need to eat more. I know it's hard, I know an ED can control your life,
i'm glad school is letting up for a few weeks soon :)

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:44 am

*sighs* I know.. I ought to practise what I preach.

:roll:

John Churton Collins

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:44 pm

I've actually done some h/w. I painted something in my art book wehen I got home yesterday, not a lot but it's a start. My P.E teacher knows that I'm not really happy in that class but I said that I might as well stay in that class. I'm really going to try to do better in art this year. I just need to focus. Only like, 8 more months of school anyway. My friend said it will fly by.

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:19 pm

ahhhhh.

i hate school *breathes*

i didn't have to do pe...i went to pupil support insteed.

why does talking to someone make everything worse?

i need someone to talk to :(

msn anyone? :(

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 am

... i usually do have MSN but my computer is being repared.... but if u still want to talk in a couple of days i'm all yours :)

powdahchica
growing roots
growing roots

Post by powdahchica » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:54 am

Okay, so I'm really struggling with school....
I'm in a second semester spanish class, and I'm really struggling with it. I don't learn languages well, it's just difficult for me. But I had really been trying until two weeks ago when I was in front of the class for an in class game thing and I didn't know what to say. I froze, and these girls started laughing at me. Not obviously so the professor would see, but enough that I noticed. I thought we were past that, being in college and all, but apparently not. And I thought I was past caring, but apparently not.
The real problem is that I was so embarassed that I didn't go to class for two weeks. We only have the class twice a week, so I've missed five classes. I have to go, my prof. takes attendance. But I'm scared now that he's going to say something in front of the class of about 25 about why I haven't been there when I show up tomorrow.
I'm so scared that I'm almost physically ill.
Any suggestions on how to make it more bareable?
Kind words/encouragement/hugs/advice welcome!
Thanks.
-Anna

WalkingStick
part of the fixtures
part of the fixtures

Post by WalkingStick » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:40 pm

does anyone have the OPPOSITE problem?

i'm in college, and I lose myself in studying so that I can avoid my thoughts for the time and focus on biology or chemistry or whatever it is i''m studying.
i get to the point where school becomes my obession and getting 4.0s is all i care about.

its' just something to take my mind off reality for awhile.

which i guess really ISN'T a problem, since I'm getting awesome grades, but I do tend to get overly stressed out about it.
my place:
http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=100939

Christ be ever before me. Christ be ever behind me. Christ be ever within me.

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:28 pm

powdahchica wrote: But I'm scared now that he's going to say something in front of the class of about 25 about why I haven't been there when I show up tomorrow.
I'm so scared that I'm almost physically ill.
Any suggestions on how to make it more bareable?
Kind words/encouragement/hugs/advice welcome!
Thanks.
-Anna
You could say you have been ill, or just say you will talk to him after the lesson, then make something up (you were having problems in college, problems at home, etc.) Hope it goes alright :star:

--------------------------

really stuggling at college. I know the rhing thing would to do, would be drop out, but i cant do that. Theres so much pressure from everyone around me to do well and if i dropped out, not only would i be letting myself down, but i would be letting my family down too. I will be the first in my family to go to university, and i really really want to go. However, in lessons, i can't concentrate. Im too fucking lazy (or lack motivation) to do any homework i get set. soo im under pressure from the tutors to do my work. In lessons, i just switch off, or nothing goes in. I've been getting bad headaches and butterflies in my stomach CONSTANTLY which im guessing is just stress, and i really, really want to si :( college is hard. Any advice on how to cope better?
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:44 pm

powdahchica- you could perhaps talk to your professor and mention that you've been struggling & could use some extra help or even just some reassurance. I can relate to you - often I get behind or lost and because of that I get more behind or lost and stop going to classes/ doing the work. My advice would be to just take a deep breath and get back into it, although I know it's easier said than done.

WalkingStick- do I can't say I have that problem, but I can totally imagine how throwing yourslef into study is a way to obliterate thinking about everything else in your life. I think, while it's good that you get your work done & feel good about it, you have to make sure you take breaks from it & live a little.

melting_snow- have you seen http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=41662 this thread? it's really got some good surviving school advice. The part about realising that depression can seriously screw with your cognitive abilities is very true, if you cant concentrate, dont give yourself a hard time. There are times when you can fight it- and there are times when you can't. Just try to do your best.

John Churton Collins

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:07 am

melting_snow: does taking a mental health break count as dropping out? some colleges will hold your space there i think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've just been having a horrible time at school, every day i get a little bit closer to doing something, like scream, or attack someone, or start to cry in the middle of class and not be able to stop. and i kind of want to because then people might realize i'm not OK. but if i do then people will think i'm unstable and not want to be around me. or just not notice at all.
and i don't know what i can do to make me feel better, except keeping myself drugged 24/7 (and i don't have the $$ to do that)

powdahchica
growing roots
growing roots

Post by powdahchica » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:12 am

Thanks for the support guys. I talked to him and he was really cool about everything, gave me some study tips for the midterm, and told me to stop by if I needed to talk about stuff again. Yay for having a good ta :)

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:27 pm

powdahchica wrote:Thanks for the support guys. I talked to him and he was really cool about everything, gave me some study tips for the midterm, and told me to stop by if I needed to talk about stuff again. Yay for having a good ta :)
That's good. Well done. :)

I remember last year when I had to do a speech for English. I was one of the last to do it and I'd been dreading it for days. When I got up there I could feel myself shaking, I stumbled over most my words and I just felt so stupid up there. I mean I was reading most of it off freakin cards too. I was kinda annoyed with myself because I couldn't do something so simple, but I couldn't do anything about it.

I think I've got a speech to do in French this year as well. I'm totally screwed on that because I suck at speaking in french. The new french assistant seems kinda scary too. I don't want to talk to her.

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:35 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I CAN'T DO THIS!