Complacency

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

tzanti
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Complacency

Post by tzanti » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:38 pm

This might sound a little hysterical, but I'm worried about getting complacent. I've been SI-free for about two and a half weeks on this streak, with some help from bus through a couple of rough bits. But now I have started to worry, or at least think about, what happens when I forget the days of 1+ SIs a day. Because when that happens it'll all start up again.

I've also started to broach the subject of my SI with my boss, who is also been a good friend for some years prior to me working for him. He has quite a handle on depression and self-destruction himself. But that is starting to feel far too easy, and maybe I need to just hedge a bit more. Self-destructive is as far as these conversations have gone. I'd probably best leave it there.

So any ideas how I cope with complacency, or that feeling that this is a plateau rather than part of the up-slope?

Hopefully this is me just being typically melodramatic.

T.
Tzanti.
No hugs please.

"Rational resistance, to an unwise urge." Prime Mover, Rush.
"Change means movement. Movement means friction." Saul Alinski

Place: The Rational Resistance

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 am

If I were you, I wouldn't keep such a strong focus on my "days with SI" "days without SI".

I mean, obviously it depends on how strong you're feeling, and how many other good coping skills you have in place...

But when I was trying to stop SI I never counted my days, because it all seemed too rigid, too obsessive to me. Like I was walking on a tightrope & if I stopped counting my days and consciously trying to SI, then I would fall off. It's like not SI'ing was all I could think about.

My advice would be to try to congratulate yourself on your days without SI & then try to relax a little.

Do you honestly ever think you can become complacent? I don't think SI is ever something you can totally forget. It's just something you replace with different & better ways to cope. Once you realise these methods work better & more long term than SI, it should start to become easier to cope without it, and you won't have to think about it so much.

It's just a matter of getting used to your coping skills. So your mind automatically runs to them instead of SI.

I don't know if I'm answering your question very well :-?
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins