Back-to-School Support

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:55 pm

I'm having trouble doing my art homework, too--and it's a project I'm really excited about! I just keep...not doing it. I keep coming up with reasons to avoid it. And it's due on Tuesday, ack!!

There's a movie on tonight, and I'm going to try to work on my project while watching that. :)
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:00 pm

flipflopfetish wrote:Not being able to do work is one of the symptoms of depression, because when my parents made me see a T because they thought I was depressed one of the questions she asked me was if I was having trouble sitting down and doing work and I lied and said no.
Yeah. My mom actually asked my the other night if I thought I might be slightly depressed when I said I couldn't work. But I freaked out and left the room. Ha. Yeah I don't really open up to people so well. Especially not my mom.

mandie_girl
one of us
one of us

Post by mandie_girl » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:09 pm

i'm a high school senior, but i'm going full time at the local community college, so i'm not at high school at all. i actually am really enjoying it. i didn't know that could happen! i missed most of school last year. i'm started to get stressed about homework though, because i feel more sad and tired lately. i con't focus. and i'm afraid i'm getting sick again. anxious, depressed. i don't want to go back to where i was. trouble coping with this fear.
~mandie

doing the best i can

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Randomness/ vent sorry

Post by MusicalMorphine » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:24 pm

I'm going back tomorrow and I'm totally freaked right now, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it. I think the morning part, just getting up and leaving the house might be the hardest, might be okay once I get to school as it's the first day. We don't have class till like 3rd period anyway.

Sorry I know no-one cares but I just wanted to get it out.

marshmallowfluff
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by marshmallowfluff » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:59 pm

When i started year 11, Musical, I was having problems with getting coursework done and stuff cos i had absolutely NO motivation what so ever. Sooo... I spoke to my tutor about it, we sorted it out, and i'd go to her room during my lunch hour if i had coursework to do, and she'd sit with me and help me if i went off track, and she'd make me work. Eventually, i did get all my coursework done. She spoke to my teachers for me and they extended my deadlines as much as they could. What i would say though, is get it sorted before it becomes a problem. With my health & social care coursework, i left it ALL till the last week before it was due in. Well, one unit of it. We used to work on it every lesson we had, and i'd sit and doodle, or sit and chat to people, and in the end, i had one week to finish a whole until of coursework. I spent 7 hours a day on it for a full week -- working none stop from 5 till 12 every single night, and i only just managed to scrape a B with it. So like i said, get it sorted before it becomes a huge problem for you, cos thats the mistake i made. In the end I had 3 pieces of coursework to do in one night :roll: definately not the best idea.

good luck! :star:
Last edited by marshmallowfluff on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dance like no one's watching.
Love like you'll never be hurt.
Sing like there's nobody listening.
And live like it's heaven on earth."

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:37 am

i despise my school :x

i promised myself that i'd do better with coursework this year, but i haven't started off very well. i'm so wrecked from trying to be normal/cool every day that all i can do is come home and try not to cry, it seems.

sockr28
sock rocker
sock rocker

Post by sockr28 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:54 am

i think that this is a great thread! thanks jae!

i never knew that not being able to do work could be as a result of depression. i always balmed it on ADD (which probably adds to it).

I just want to try and encourage everyone to hang in there though. I know that school can suck sometimes, but it does get better! And once you are out, you might even miss it!

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm

struggling with school.

Anyone know how to concentrate on things..i seem to not be able to do anything..it goes through one ear and out the other :cry:
i am getting completly stressed out, i'm gonna fail everything and not get a job or get into uni *breathes*

:roll:

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:03 am

little pixie dust wrote:Anyone know how to concentrate on things..i seem to not be able to do anything..it goes through one ear and out the other
My best strategy is to actually not try to concentrate. I distract myself with something while kind of trying to pay a little attention and I actually take more in than I realize.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:13 am

:wavey:

*sighs* uni is a kind of school.. right?

I can't work. at. all. blahhhhhhhhh

So much to do.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find.
John Churton Collins

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:16 am

This is from sourcebook:

http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=41662

It's really useful.
:redstar: the time to tell a person you care is now :redstar: the paper crane chain of hope :redstar:

John Churton Collins

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:15 pm

thank you for posting the link, that was really helpful.

Ta flipflopfetis, i know what you mean..i'll try that more often :)

MusicalMorphine
growing roots
growing roots

Post by MusicalMorphine » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:44 pm

melting_snow wrote:When i started year 11, Musical, I was having problems with getting coursework done and stuff cos i had absolutely NO motivation what so ever. Sooo... I spoke to my tutor about it, we sorted it out, and i'd go to her room during my lunch hour if i had coursework to do, and she'd sit with me and help me if i went off track, and she'd make me work. Eventually, i did get all my coursework done. She spoke to my teachers for me and they extended my deadlines as much as they could. What i would say though, is get it sorted before it becomes a problem. With my health & social care coursework, i left it ALL till the last week before it was due in. Well, one unit of it. We used to work on it every lesson we had, and i'd sit and doodle, or sit and chat to people, and in the end, i had one week to finish a whole until of coursework. I spent 7 hours a day on it for a full week -- working none stop from 5 till 12 every single night, and i only just managed to scrape a B with it. So like i said, get it sorted before it becomes a huge problem for you, cos thats the mistake i made. In the end I had 3 pieces of coursework to do in one night :roll: definately not the best idea.

good luck! :star:
Yes thankyou for that. I'll try. Unfortunately, my form tutor just left. I now have my old tutor back - a 32yr old bald R.E teacher. Not the best person to talk to me thinks. Plus I don't think I'd be able to say anything no matter who it was.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:55 pm

If you're in university and your depression / illness is documented by a doctor, go to your university's disability services center and talk to them and see if they're willing to help you.

If you are having trouble concentrating, trying breaking up work times into small chunks. When I was having trouble with concentrating, I would work in 2-hour blocks. I'd work for 2 hours, and then take a 15-30 minute break. I recommend not starting a new activity during your break -- just get up, walk around, use the toilet, drink / eat something if you want it, stretch, those kind of things, and then go back to work.

If you are having trouble with coursework - even if it's illness-related - TALK TO YOUR TEACHERS. You don't have to tell them what is going on in your head, all you have to say is that you are having trouble with the course and need some help. Most teachers (especially if you're in university) will be glad that you asked and help you as much as they can.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

Bright Eyes
just plain inspiring
just plain inspiring

Post by Bright Eyes » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:09 pm

^ Great advice, mercy snow, thanks.

Anyone else at college/uni struggling with homesickness or anxiety? I'm a transfer student and so far weekends are really hard - I don't know many people. I'm trying to get really involved, but so far my weekdays are looking super busy and my weekends are looking lonely and quiet.

There's still sooo long until our first break. I miss my family and my house. Even though I'm a sophomore, this year is a lot harder than last year because I'm farther from home.

Licentia Poetica
forum moderator emeritus
forum moderator emeritus

Post by Licentia Poetica » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:18 am

I've just started uni this year, and anxiety has been a huge issue. Somedays I'm okay, somedays I never make it out of the house, and other days I fight panic all day long.

It's not nice, and it doesn't make it any easier to turn up.

But the thing about anxiety is, it feels fucking awful, but it can't hurt you unless you let it stop you from doing the things you wan't to do.

:star:

John Churton Collins

flipflopfetish
awe-inspiring
awe-inspiring

Post by flipflopfetish » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:06 pm

I should do my take-home history test. It would be sad if I got a bad grade on what was basically a free A because I didn't finish it. Meh. Someone should hit me with a cattle prod until I finish the damn test.

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:13 pm

hey

Well i am struggling in pe because i don;t want people to see my cuts.

Do you think if i said to my pe teacher quietly..i have an infection on my leg, i'm a little subconsous could i get changed in the toilets, would that make sense? They normally go mental if you don't have a shower but its kinda difficult balancing towels and stuff trying to hide scars. ( and i'm not really active in pe so its not like i would be all sweaty :tongue: )
Or is that basically pointing it out saying i self harm..or can you get an infected leg another way?
i know what i mean lol but it isn't coming out right.
xxxx

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:59 pm

little pixie dust - First, you're not alone; many (maybe most) of us sometimes run into situations where it's difficult to hide our SI. Here are my thoughts on your current situation: Certainly go ahead and say something to your PE instructor. You may not even really have to give a reason--I'm extremely self-conscious just about changing in the presence of others, and I have sometimes had to say "I'm just really nervous and shy and I'd like to change in the toilets instead." Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I think that should be enough; but, if you think your PE teacher might dismiss that, you can use any one of many other excuses: stretch marks, scars from an accident, hives, etc. Or, if you want something really effective, mention something like "unsightly body hair" or warts. Most people, upon hearing an excuse like that, will just go ":o Oh, all right then, that's understandable." And in most cases they won't ask to look :lol:.

IMHO, I wouldn't use the excuse of an infected injury--simply because many teachers would be concerned and would want to take a look at it.

Hope some of this helps!

Be well,
~ Jae

P.S. I didn't mean any offense to people who actually have unsightly body hair or warts. I have both and they're just natural occurences, nothing to be ashamed of, but I do think they make effective excuses.
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

little pixie dust
building community
building community

Post by little pixie dust » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:22 pm

Thanks for your help, the ideas are really good.

Yeh i think maybe saying i have an infection is going to lead to lots of questions..i will try the other ideas,don't have PE until Monday..will let you know how it goes lol.

cheers xxx