Impulsive SI vs. Deliberate SI

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

ebmcs
creating your space
creating your space

Impulsive SI vs. Deliberate SI

Post by ebmcs » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:37 am

Just wondering if anyone else struggles with both.

Deliberate SI I am getting a handle on. By this, I mean mostly cutting; which requires a degree of planning/prep even when it is impulsive. Right? I mean you can't gut-respond to a situation by cutting unless there's something just sitting there.

But then, I've noticed that when I am alone and get very frustrated or do something that would have resulted in yelling as a child, or think about something that I've done that I label as "failure," I hit myself without even thinking about it. Almost like a reflex.
Example: washing dishes last night, knocked over the strainer being clumsy and scattered a few dishes everywhere. Or, walking to my car, drop something. Or, thinking about a tiny detail in an observation at work that didn't go quite right.

This is a little disturbing to me because it's so ingrained in me. Where does THAT come from?..... but it is a hard one to break, especially because 1) it's harder to catch/stop, and 2) it feels so awkward and uncomfortable to let the moment pass if I do catch/stop

Any ideas/anyone relate?
Psalm 91, 107, 139

"Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy. I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry. <br>And so I wait for you. Jesus, you're all this heart is living for. <br>Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide. I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life."<p>

visit <a href="http://buslist.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php? ... tart=0">my place</a>

tzanti
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by tzanti » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:16 pm

That's the one I get nearly everytime. No warning, no build-up, just bang! I often end up screaming and yelling as well. I don't know where it comes from either. I kind of think of it as like banging the TV set when it doesn't work.

I also find that it's not as controlled as the other form of SI *for me* All of mine is hitting, but when I get some warning it all happens much more slowly, I tend to hit 'differently.'

T.
Tzanti.
No hugs please.

"Rational resistance, to an unwise urge." Prime Mover, Rush.
"Change means movement. Movement means friction." Saul Alinski

Place: The Rational Resistance

green
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

Post by green » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:16 pm

I can definately relate to this. Impulsive SI is something that I really stuggle with. Whenever I drop something or think about something I did wrong or said that day, I just automatically hurt myself. I find frustration and anger is often accompanied with it. I'm sorry I don't have any advice... I just wanted to let you know that I can relate.
"Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way."
- Charles Bukowski, Gamblers All

tzanti
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by tzanti » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:46 pm

The thing is that it actually feels kind of natural, well normal anyway.

T.
Tzanti.
No hugs please.

"Rational resistance, to an unwise urge." Prime Mover, Rush.
"Change means movement. Movement means friction." Saul Alinski

Place: The Rational Resistance

t_k
building community
building community

Post by t_k » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:34 pm

I definitly get what you mean.

The cutting's so much simpler to deal with compared to reactions.

I get the reactions too... I just automatically scratch or hit myself without thinking about it.
<CENTER>Lunchbox
Eating Disorder Forums</CENTER>

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:52 pm

or think about something that I've done that I label as "failure," I hit myself without even thinking about it. Almost like a reflex.
yeah. i do this a lot, too. i got told that i made a mistake - a very simple one that all new people make - at work, and when i came home i smacked myself for it.

it's really hard to break out of it. i've tried to 'catch' myself but it never seems to work. =/
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave:

syn
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by syn » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:56 am

I struggle(d) with both too, and am a little too creative for my own good. Some of my worst scars were impulsive SI.

Impulsive SI and Deliberate are both equally bad, and hard to quit in my eyes. The impulsive is obviously harder to control, but the deliberate has ritual and sentimentality attached to it. It also creates that control factor.
~ Syn

with recognition we will grieve
that waking is the sorrow of ending dreams

expiation.org

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:25 pm

I've found that reducing my deliberate SI is a lot easier than reducing the impulsive kind. I've had 2 slips so far and both were totally impulsive--I wasn't even really thinking about it...it just kind of snuck up on me.
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar:

espai
one of us
one of us

Post by espai » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm

It's very difficult to stop myself impulsively SI'ing, because as soon as I finish it is when I actually realise what I've done...

Cutting is something that takes up my concentration so it's easier for me to avoid or stop halfway. But if I get particularly anxious I bite the inside of my lip really hard, which is a reflex reaction I've always had. It's so much harder to break that cos I have been doing it literally since I was tiny...
~Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted~
- John Lennon

autumndiver
unpacking boxes
unpacking boxes

Post by autumndiver » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:56 am

I'm impulsive. I get so wrapped up, and WHAM. Afterwords, I'll feel calm. But then I see what I've done. I feel awful for days. I just had an incident Saturday evening. I can't function, bathe, eat. I feel so guilty. I wish I knew how to just snap out of it.