insomnia and urges?

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

steady hands
quintessential regular
quintessential regular

insomnia and urges?

Post by steady hands » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:08 am

i'm an insomniac, and for the past couple of days that I haven't been sleeping, i've been really urgey. Most of the things I do to cope and distract me are either things I can't do at night, or things that are too loud to do while the rest of my family is sleeping. I've read through the scarily vast list of coping methods, and tried a lot of them, and nothing seems to be working. is there anything that I could do that would be quiet enough to do in my room that I can do at night?

:star: gretchen

Silver_Kitsune
settling in
settling in

Post by Silver_Kitsune » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:36 am

I'm an insomniac too. Here's some of the stuff I do when I feel urged:
-I get on the internet and read stories with happy endings. Or just something humorous.
-I start planning what outfits I'm going to wear. Sometimes I even plan out the jewelery too.
-I mix and match jewelery, seeing how different necklaces go together, seeing how different bracelets go together. Even if you don't have a lot of jewelery, you'd be surprised about how many cool looking combinations you can make.
-I play video games. If you're trying to sleep, that's not a good idea because the games will keep you up for some reason. Or you can just play the game on mute.
-I paint my nails.
-I write music: Lyrics that describe how I feel, and then the guitar riffs that go with it. Even though I won't be able to play it, I play it in the morning. Or if you play another instrument, that'd be fine as well.
-I let my pets come in my room.
-You can listen to your CD player.
-Daydream.

That's all I can think of right now, I hope it helps. :-)

irishpecas14
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by irishpecas14 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:10 am

ahhh insomnia? yes. i have that.

-play dough. it's amazing.
-coloring. (okay so i do kid stuff.. haha)
-listen to mp3 player/music with headphones
-read... a lot. i have stacks of books for these occasions.. catch up on schoolwork, etc.
-write letters to friends/ thank yous... etc.
-e-mails... check online stuff
-look at pictures.
-look at your callendar and plan for the next week or so...

(i like the idea about planning outfits! must try that!)

syn
meeting the neighbors
meeting the neighbors

Post by syn » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:42 pm

- internet
- get crafty with beads, etc
- TV
- music
- chat rooms
~ Syn

with recognition we will grieve
that waking is the sorrow of ending dreams

expiation.org

half/hearted
orange smartie
orange smartie

Post by half/hearted » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:41 pm

I have insomnia too, and I get really urgey at night as well. This is some of the things I do:

- Make lists/plans (plan outfits, schedule for tomorrow; list shopping needs, songs I like, etc.)
- Do something creative--I like marker art but you can do whatever helps you.
- Paint my nails
- Play with makeup. This might sound silly, but sometimes when I feel really awful I put on "horror movie" makeup, with red eyeliner and dark eyeshadow and stuff, and it's actually a really good release. Then I can just wash it all off.
- Sort things. I don't know about you but I find this really relaxing...I just like sorting/organizing stuff. Beads are great for this.
- Calligraphy. I like Japanese calligraphy but i imagine other forms would be soothing as well.
- Internet. Sometimes I get on bus and go to the "games" thread and just try to reply to EVERYTHING on the first page. Or I go to the coping forum or the bodies under siege forum, and look for people who are seeking help but haven't gotten any replies yet...I see how many people I can help that night.
- Meditate. sounds cheesy but it helps me sometimes...I like to get a favorite item, like a necklace or something, and just concentrate on it...let my mind wander, imagine things like where it came from or make up a story to go around it...

I know you said you tried things from the scarily vast list, but I'd like to recommend one that works really well for me: drawing on myself with red marker, or with red food coloring. I was shocked at how well this worked the first time I tried it--with the food coloring--it looked exactly like the blood that I really needed to see. If your SI centers around something else (burning, hitting, etc), you could try the ice-cube trick (hold an ice cube against your skin--it gives a sort of burning sensation and leaves a reddish mark, like burning might), or hit a pillow (stupid but it actually helps me sometimes. I like to hit my mattress 'cause it's a bit firmer).

Hope something helps.
Please be gentle with me.

you will fly and you will crawl
god knows even angels fall
no such thing as you "lost it all"
god knows even angels fall :pinkstar: