Being optimistic while being angry? *possible SI trig*

tips on how to cope: dealing with your feelings, dealing with the consequences of self-harm in your life. share your ideas and maybe pick up some new skills, too. you don't have to want to stop to learn something new here.

Moderators: Spidey, noldo

Silver_Kitsune
settling in
settling in

Being optimistic while being angry? *possible SI trig*

Post by Silver_Kitsune » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:39 am

Ok, I was reading a magazine and it had an article about SI. Well, it was being extremely negative. Saying it was all just a fad and everyone who does it is doing it for attention.

I'm not sure how it makes others feel, but it made me extremely angry. I was looking at some of the sources, and they were definitely not good at all. I even went as far as checking them out on the 'net. Most of them gave tips on how to SI, etc.

What really makes me mad is that they used sources like those instead of ones that really show how it is, that's it's not just a fad. That it actually is a coping meathod for some people. And they completely ignored it.

See, I'm trying to be optimistic, trying to get myself to believe that they really didn't mean to make people like us feel that way. But I just can't make myself believe it. :-? No matter how many times I tell myself they didn't want it to end up that way, I still think that the author did it on purpose. And what if they did? Just thinking about the possibility is making me angrier.

I guess what I'm trying to get at here is how to continue to be optimistic when I'm angry or sad? I'm on my longest no-SI streak yet, and I really don't want to end now.

I guess I should say what I already did. I punched my pillow, screamed into it, kicked a stone down the road as hard as I could, I scribbled really hard on paper with a crayon. But none of it seems to help. A few sentences from the article keep kind of echoing in my head. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Spidey
board admin
board admin

Post by Spidey » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:57 am

there are a lot of negative articles about self-injury. the best thing that you can really do is to not let it get to you. educate yourself about the topic, inform yourself and others around you (if you are comfortable with that) about what self-injury *really* is. in short, don't believe the hype.

i know it's hard. i sometimes read articles that tie me up in knots and make me sooo angry. but it's not worth it to si over them, really. i know it's tempting but it just isn't because it's one person's (misinformed (or not) opinion against all the masses.
there is, in the end, the letting go.
-marya hornbacher

spidey immer voran
(spidey ever onward)

:cowave: